I want to make a yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinaeasy

Reaction score
And a friend of mine gave me a 500ml Pyrex beaker. Is this big enough to make a starter for an PA extract kit? I usually just make starters in other glass containers, but wanted to know if I can use this properly.

And a friend of mine gave me a 500ml Pyrex beaker. Is this big enough to make a starter for an PA extract kit? I usually just make starters in other glass containers, but wanted to know if I can use this properly.

I think it's too small. Even if you made a very small starter, it would probably boil over. I made a 500 ml starter in a 1000ml flask, and it boiled over.

500ml is probably too small (my starter size is usually about 750ml-1000ml), but you could make use of it with a smaller starter if you either use Fermcap and/or boil the starter in another pot before transfer to the flask (and, again you may need Fermcap during the ferment to prevent a mess).

In my opinion, even a small starter is better than no starter at all.

Edit: just re-read that you said "beaker" not "flask". Probably not worth it at all with a beaker that size - better to use an old growler or half gallon mason jar.

I have growlers that I sterilize and use that can hold a much larger starter. I usually just make a starter in there. I will most likely do that again here. Stinks, I get a free flask and it is basically of no use. I also plan on making a stir plate from the diy section and ordering a 2000ml flask kit soon.

Latest posts

Back