I need some computer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been on the phone for about 5 hrs over the last two days with Compaq trying to fix this thing.... they didn't know and told me to call my ISP....they didn't know and now want to send some dude out for $40

Here's the deal. My computer, which is brand new just bought it a month ago, just won't go to some websites. There's no rhyme or reason for which sites it won't go to either. With Compaq I freakin' went through almost every setting up until the point of doing a complete system reinstall (that f*ckin pissed me off).

Anybody have any idea of what it could be? SWMBO's laptop goes to all of these sites without a problem so it's got to be the comp....

Some of the sites are www.paccar.com www.barnesandnoble.com www.exxon.com those are just some of the ones off the top of my head.

I'm also running vista if that means anything....

Sorry, I'm just kinda pissed right now. I'm this guy :mad: when I wanna be this guy :drunk:

Try flushing the resolver cache. Close all running programs, especially
Internet Explorer and any other program that utilizes an internet
connection. Click start and type CMD. Right click the entry in the start
menu and use 'run as administrator'. From the prompt, type "ipconfig
/flushdns" (without the quotes) and hit <enter>. You should get a message
about it successfully clearing the resolver cache. Close the command window
(click the 'x' or type "exit"). Now retry the sites.

I found this on a Vista website

I Googled this "vista wont connect to certain websites"

Many people are experiencing the same thing.

Did you zone file get hijacked or something? Can you ping or traceroute to the affected websites?

I don't know what the hijacking thing means but I tried to ping the sites with no luck. Strangely HBT didn't work either even though it does indeed work....

Can you access this? It's Exxon.com's IP address.

http://158.35.238.9

Nope...

Try flushing the resolver cache. Close all running programs, especially
Internet Explorer and any other program that utilizes an internet
connection. Click start and type CMD. Right click the entry in the start
menu and use 'run as administrator'. From the prompt, type "ipconfig
/flushdns" (without the quotes) and hit <enter>. You should get a message
about it successfully clearing the resolver cache. Close the command window
(click the 'x' or type "exit"). Now retry the sites.

I found this on a Vista website

The Compaq tech support had me do this during my 5hrs with them...again no luck

Thanks for the help guys....I figured the overall HBT consensus is probably better than tech support and I should have tried this first!!

I would rather search through google than sit on the phone for 5 hours.....Google is my fix for everything..that is if I can't get an answer from HBT:D

also disable IPv6 in the network connection properties. I have heard of issues with it running and it could be interfering. Turning it off shouldn't cause an issue as virtually nobody uses it exclusively yet.

I got it...
Step 1 - drink a cold beer
Step 2 - drink one more
Step 3 - Hit computer with 3lb sledgehammer
Step 4 - Buy a Mac
I know I'm buying a Mac next time........

Mac's are cute, but they have the same problems as any other PC. You will be less able to deal with them is all. I worked for Apple for a few years, and would never buy one as a result.

Back to the issue though, what browser are you using?

Try installing Spybot Search & Destroy ad well as adaware. Update both programs and scan your PC.

I don't know if it is a malware issue or not but running both on a semi-regular basis is a good idea, and it may solve the problem. Both are free and will not only detect most malware problems but also protect against them if you choose to enable it.

http://lavasoft.com/
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Honestly IMHO, I would just take it back and get another. If it is brand new, you do not deserve to have probs with it already...

Like I said I don't know if they will uncover anything, but having and running both is always a good idea. Other than what has been said here, I would also suggest making sure SP1 is installed. You can also get a Linux Live CD and boot from that to see if the issue persists. Although I doubt it will but it was just a thought.

Also run a traceroute to some of the affected websites and post the results here. it may help to nail down where the issue lies.

Cool, I'll do the traceroute thing tomorrow evening when I get home from work.

So far AdAware says "total infections detected: 69" so hopefully that'll help. Still, it's been doing this since day 1 so IDK......

Vista can suck my balls. What you could do is change your dns servers to use the opendns servers which are

Not saying this is it but it can't hurt.

Vista can suck my balls. What you could do is change your dns servers to use the opendns servers which are

Not saying this is it but it can't hurt.

If he can't get to those sites by IP then it isn't a DNS issue.

Cool, I'll do the traceroute thing tomorrow evening when I get home from work.

So far AdAware says "total infections detected: 69" so hopefully that'll help. Still, it's been doing this since day 1 so IDK......

The vast majority of the usual infections are just tracking cookies. And that number wouldn't be unheard of for them. But you never know it may do the trick.

What do you get when you do a traceroute to the sites you cant get to? Can you cut and paste all three or 4 traces?

Anything different network-wise (from a hardware standpoint) between your computer and SWMBO's laptop? Like maybe she connects wirelessly to a WAP where you're wired in to a different router? Share the same cable modem or DSL line (or whatever) if so? Have you tried rebooting everything upstream of your computer (modem(s) & router(s))?

It really sounds like its just Vista being crappy, yet again.

There's problems with the way they redid the tcp/ip stack, it'll open up too many sockets to one website, and then you can't get other websites to work at the time.

however that usually presents as 'intermittent' problems accessing sites...yours sounds too consistent.

have you tried using FireFox instead of Internet Explorer to view these sites?
have you turned off the Phishing Filter which might be blocking sites?

Have you thought about upgrading to Windows XP Pro? Its a vast improvement over Vista.

Ok, I did the trace and here's what it said:

trace.jpg

have you tried using FireFox instead of Internet Explorer to view these sites?

Yup, tried both....currently on FireFox

have you turned off the Phishing Filter which might be blocking sites?

The Phishing Filter is on right now (bc the system restore) but it was off before and didn't do anything...

Have you thought about upgrading to Windows XP Pro? Its a vast improvement over Vista.

Yeah that would kinda suck but not as much as Vista does.... I'm sure I can get a copy off my stepbro....

Thanks for all your ideas/help guys! :mug:

Not a suggestion but I went from Vista Home Premium to Ubuntu. Aside from the learning curve of a new OS (which is lower on Ubuntu than other flavors of linux) and for the vast majority of the computing I do on the laptop it is more than adequate.

My gaming desktop runs Windows XP though.

Well, Alamo, that tracert was incredibly not helpful! :mad: It shows you connect all the way up to the end then it stops just before the last IP address. The traceroute was hopefully going to show where the break in the hops are in the network to your destination.

I, too, also suggest upgrading to Windows XP Pro. I'm stumped.

Are you by chance running it through a linksys router? I had this problem a while ago my vista machine would not connect to some sites and my XP ones would.. Updating the firmware on my router fixed it.

Also make sure you have patched Vista up to date

Update Vista with the new Service Pack 1. If that dont work, Install XP Pro!
VISTA Sucks!!!

I'll put in another vote for installing XP Pro. I used Vista for about 2 weeks then went back to XP.

Back