Krausen with Fermcap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
I used Fermcap yesterday for the first time. I didn't need it in the boil, since I had plenty of headspace in my kettle. I ended up with 5.5 gallons in a 6 gallon fermenter, filled it right up to where the carboy starts to curve in. I used pure O2 to aerate, added fermcap, yeast, sloshed the carboy to mix, and the 3 inches of foam the O2 created immediately disappeared. Pretty cool I thought.

But...I wake up this morning and i've got krausen almost up to the airlock and I've switched to a blowoff tube just in case. Is this normal? I thought the product was supposed to prevent this?

I already used the recommended amount (0.25 - 0.5 tsp. per 5 gallons). Is it OK to add a little more?

You're probably OK, but Fermcap should go in the boil to ensure that no contaminating organisms hitch a ride with it.

That makes sense. I just followed the instructions which said to add it when you pitch your yeast. I'll add it at flame out next time

I used some (foam control from LHBS) yesterday in my boil and still got boil overs with the directed amount (2 drop per gallon at beginning of boil).

I tried to perform a 6 gallon boil in a 7.5 gallon pot, and ended up with less than five gallons in my primary:(

I used some (foam control from LHBS) yesterday in my boil and still got boil overs with the directed amount (2 drop per gallon at beginning of boil).

I tried to perform a 6 gallon boil in a 7.5 gallon pot, and ended up with less than five gallons in my primary:(

I highly recommend a squirt bottle with some water in it. EdWort recommended it to me, and I haven't had a boil over since. Everytime the boil starts to get going, I just spray down the foam. I do the same thing when I make starters.

I highly recommend a squirt bottle with some water in it. EdWort recommended it to me, and I haven't had a boil over since. Everytime the boil starts to get going, I just spray down the foam. I do the same thing when I make starters.

+1 on that. I always a have a few squirt bottles on hand (to correct our dogs), so I just grab one from the counter. Works like a charm, and gives my trigger finger a workout. :D

Back