Bottles soak in one-step too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pktshc

Reaction score
Greetings from Columbus, OH-
I was sanitizing my bottles before bottling a batch of wheat beer when I was forced to abandon my bottles and tend to a homeownership emergency. Unfortunately, the bottles soaked in one-step for more than 24hours. When I was able to return to them I noticed that they had a chalky film on them. I have rinsed them all off again, but the film is still present on the outside and inside of the bottles. I have not bottled the wheat and will not until I figure out exactly what to do.

My questions are as follows:
1. Did I ruin 54 bottles? God I hope not.
2. How can I save them?
3. Will that residue ruin my wheat beer if I tried to bottle it anyway.

Thoughts? Thanks- Jeff

I'm not that familiar with one step, but it sounds like it's just residue from the cleaner. I get the same thing if I leave stuff in starsan too long. I would try running them through your dishwasher (no detergent) and see if that helps any.

that's one of the reasons i quit using one-step. I don't like that residue...whether its harmful or not to the beer flavor, its just unsightly.

One Step is oxygen based so the film shouldn't hurt. To be safe why not boil some bottles, or use more one step and rinse ;)

Okay, see if I remember this right One step is sodium percarbonate and sodium silicate. The sodium percarbonate breaks down into hydrogen peroxcide (the sanitizer) and sodium carbonate. The hydrogen peroxcide then breaks down in to water and oxygen. The sodiium carbonate is used as a water softener and precipitates out calcium carbonate that was already in the water. I believe is what you're seeing. Maybe something that took Chemistry less than two decades ago could fill in some more.

In any case, those are all minerals in normal drinking water and are safe.

Thanks, everyone. I will try a little of everything. Perhaps a vinegar bath followed by a run through the dishwasher. Then, for the final touch, another soak (not as long) in the One-step.

Thanks again!

JAH

when I get a chalky res from oxyclean I put the bottles in a bucket with a splash of vinegar. Works fine.

Then I use the bottle cleaner sprayer to blast out the inside and water hose to rinse off the outside.

Yeah just rinse them thoroughly again, then re sanitize...But get rid of that crappy onestep and get a real no-rinse sanitizer like iodophor or starsan....

[rant]I wished that they'd quit peddling onestep to new brewers and/or quit skirting the line on whether or not it is a sanitizer or cleanser... Or at least PAY for USDA sanitizer certification once and for all...it's not like they can't afford the certification....They have contracts with ALL the major kit vendors including MR Beer to supply there horrid product with kits....they must make enough to pay for the litsting....

If you want to read about onestep the real sanitizers check this thread out...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

[/rant]:D

Latest posts

Back