Keg some - Bottle the rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatmike1968

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to kegging so if this is a stupid question, then please just tell me.

My brewing partner and I would like to have a couple of kegs at a party this coming weekend. However, we would also like to be able to have some bottles of our possibly damn good brew.

So my question is: We brew 5 gallon batches and have 5 gallon kegs. Is there a way to only keg say 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg, or does that screw up the carbonation/sanitation?

Thanks!

You'll just have to scale back your priming sugar for the less than 5 gallon bottling effort. Other than that, just how to you justify trying to drink a beer this weekend when it's not even in the keg yet? What is it, 2 weeks old? I'd recommend picking up a case of commercial for this upcoming party.

Other than that, just how to you justify trying to drink a beer this weekend when it's not even in the keg yet? What is it, 2 weeks old? I'd recommend picking up a case of commercial for this upcoming party.

One is 3 weeks old and the other's been lagering for about a month now

I usually keep some carb tabs around for this purpose. I can use just the right amount of tabs per bottle without under or over priming.

I would keg it all, force carbonate, then attach the bottling tube to the end of your spigot and bottle... might not be perfect, but I would probably do it for the simplicity of it. I guess it depends on how picky you want to be.

Back