Coverting Ball Lock to Pin Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WKU_Doc_D

Reaction score
Hey all,

Quick question before I make a parts purchase. Does anyone know of an issue with changing a ball lock keg to a pin lock? Are the parts interchangeable? My system is set up for pin lock and a friend gave me a ball lock keg. Tried to trade it for another pin lock, but most people only have what there system is capable of using. Any thoughts? Thanks.
D.

Interchangeability is limited, the threaded ports on kegs vary quite a bit even within the ball lock and pin lock species. You'll need to positively identify the keg then go shopping for conversion posts specific to it...

Cheers!

Most change it seems from pin lock to ball lock...Im changin over from pin lock to ball lock so i guess pm me if interested maybe trade or sell my pin locks to you.

My LHBS let me do any even swap of my cleaned and recently serviced pin locks for still have soda in them ball locks. Might be a place to check

day_trippr said:
Interchangeability is limited, the threaded ports on kegs vary quite a bit even within the ball lock and pin lock species. You'll need to positively identify the keg then go shopping for conversion posts specific to it...

Cheers!

With that being said, would it perhaps be easier to just buy a co2 line and party tap for ball lock? That would give me the ability to utilize both types of kegs.

You could even just sell the ball lock and probably make enough money to buy 1.5-2 pin lock kegs. Otherwise, pickup some MFL quick disconnects for that keg. They've got a screw nut that attaches the hose to the quick disconnect, then you can buy a set of ball lock QDs and pin lock QDs. Whenever the ball lock is ready to drink, you could quickly switch out the QDs from pin to ball, and then back once the keg has kicked.

More info: the keg is a Super Champion used by Royal Crown (RC) Cola. I've found replacement parts for Firestone keg but haven't found anything for the Super Champion Keg. Anyone know if these two kegs use the same parts?

OK, may not be allowed here, but I'll do it anyway. I found the answer I needed on NB Forum. Here is the text of that helped:

Maybe this will help.....

Here is the whole list of available Corny kegs and their post sizes:

Soda Keg Threads:
From Mike Dixon, 2-19-03

Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger
Gas 9/16"-18
Liquid 5/8" -18

Cornelius Spartan & Super Champion
Gas 19/32" - 18
Liquid 19/32" - 18

Cornelius R (pin lock)
Gas 19/32" - 18 (2-pin)
Liquid 19/32" - 18 (3-pin)

John Wood 85, Firestone Challenger
Gas 11/16" - 18
Liquid 3/4" - 18

Firestone A, Firestone R, John Wood RA, John Wood RC (pin lock)
Gas 9/16" - 18 (2-pin)
Liquid 9/16" - 18 (3-pin)

So, Knowing this, it looks like I can use the Cornelius Spartan or for Pin Lock, the Cornelius R. Anyone see any error in my thinking?

It'd be easier to trade with someone that is in the opposite position as you. I have a pinlock that I am set up to use, but everything else is ball lock (except for 1 3 gallon keg). Someday I'll seek out someone to trade with me.

OK, so after checking pricing are the parts to convert to pin lock I'll spend about $30 on the change over. A few dollars more gets me another pin lock keg. Don't figure it's worth it.

Anyone in the Bowling Green Kentucky area want to swap a pin lock for ball lock, let me know.

Cheers.

D.

I'm trying to convert from ball lock to pin lock. The only pin lock parts I found on their site had the wrong thread size,.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

OK, Thanks.

Here is my thoughts, correct me if I'm wrong. I buy the 2 parts plus shipping is $25. I've found pin lock kegs for just a few bucks more. Would I be better selling the ball lock, buying another pin lock corny, and then put a few bucks in my pocket? Just my thoughts, but not sure.

If you're ok with dealing with the keg selling part, the math supports the notion. If the keg is in good shape it should go quickly, and ball lock kegs that hold pressure were $65 last time I noticed at my LHBS...

Cheers!

Back