Couple of mistakes on my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooks56

Reaction score
I was reading some of the threads on here and I ran into a couple of mistakes that I made.

My stove isn't the strongest out there by any means so I ended up using a lid for the boil. I used a kit and it didn't say I couldn't use a lid. Why is this a bad thing?

Second. I didn't even think about it, but since I was doing a partial boil, the directions said to add cool water to the fermenter. I ended up adding the extra water to the wort while it was still hot, almost boiling. It's been a couple of days and it seemed to me that it was/is fermenting really well. Should I expect a bad beer?

Relax don't worry have a homebrew is a motto that's often used. The basic idea is the more you worry the more likely you are to screw something else up.

You should be fine. I actually don't know if there's something bad that can come from dumping the cold water into the hot water (someone more in the know can correct me) I always assumed it was done that way to make it easier to carry the kettle around, since it needs to both be cooled and dumped.

I'm not too worried about it. I know it's going to be a learning experience. My concern is that the water was filtered but it was not boiled which means it wasn't sanitized. That was my concern more so than the temp difference.

Look up "DMS". I forget exactly what it stands for but I know it can cause off flavors and is released in the steam during the boil. No harm in the lid getting it to boil, but take it off next time when you get there. Most off flavors are reduced or eliminated by aging, so if you don't like the flavor of the first bottle, just wait a few more weeks before you try another. You'll be amazed how much aging can improve a beer you thought wasn't up to par.

As for the water, no biggie. You just got a little extra exercise! Next time put the chilled water in your carboy and aerate the heck out of it. I's a lot easier to aerate 2 gallons of water than 5 gallons of wort. Did you use a chiller? How's the ferment going?

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
Relax don't worry have a homebrew is a motto that's often used. The basic idea is the more you worry the more likely you are to screw something else up.

You should be fine. I actually don't know if there's something bad that can come from dumping the cold water into the hot water (someone more in the know can correct me) I always assumed it was done that way to make it easier to carry the kettle around, since it needs to both be cooled and dumped.

There isn't anything wrong with using tap water to cool the wort. In fact, it's a popular method for those who don't have wort chillers. As for it not being boiled, it shouldn't matter. Municipal water supplies don't have much in the way of bacteria to worry about. I have never boiled mine, and never had a problem.

Look up "DMS". I forget exactly what it stands for but I know it can cause off flavors and is released in the steam during the boil. No harm in the lid getting it to boil, but take it off next time when you get there. Most off flavors are reduced or eliminated by aging, so if you don't like the flavor of the first bottle, just wait a few more weeks before you try another. You'll be amazed how much aging can improve a beer you thought wasn't up to par.

As for the water, no biggie. You just got a little extra exercise! Next time put the chilled water in your carboy and aerate the heck out of it. I's a lot easier to aerate 2 gallons of water than 5 gallons of wort. Did you use a chiller? How's the ferment going?

I could be wrong again, but you may even be able to avoid DMS from not having it boil by proper cold break. Could be wrong, maybe it just limits the effects.

I'm not too worried about it. I know it's going to be a learning experience. My concern is that the water was filtered but it was not boiled which means it wasn't sanitized. That was my concern more so than the temp difference.

Honestly it shouldn't be an issue, I haven't had one happen yet, cities treat the water so that it's safe to drink and I can't imagine it being a real issue.

Unless you got the water out of the toilet or a stagnant pond, it's probably clean enough. If it was clean enough for you to drink than it will most likely be fine.

As for the lid, it will probably be fine but I would leave it off next time. I'm pretty sure you don't really have to worry about DMS with extract because it has already been boiled during it's processing. I would still do it next time though just to be sure.

I kept a sanitized thermometer in the pot the entire time during the boil. Which in itself let a lot of the steam out while giving the stove a little bit of a boost. I also stirred the pot every ten minutes or so. Would this help with the DMS? I've already thought about using my neighbors propane burner for the next batch.

Do not use a lid . It just stops some evaporating bad things from getting out . Do not want your beer getting that sulphur dioxide taste or something . But not a big deal and it will be fine . I have done it many times using my stove as it is hard to keep it hot enough . NOTE : that leads to this point . buy a burner . KAB5 is great . Weighs as much as my car but will last forever I think and is 210,000 BTU . Webstaurants .com for 81 bucks shipped . It is called a backyard pro but is the KAB5 .

Water to fermenter is right . If you added before cooling down your wort then just make sure you cool it down to 70 or so before pitching yeast . You should set your bucket or boil pot preferably in a tub of ice water to cool it quickly . Letting it set for at least half hour or so allows it to settle and then siphon off your wort to primary leaving the trub behind and then add the cool water , usually tap water .

I've already started to look for a burner. I'm pretty sure that my neighbor has one that I could borrow. I may have to pay him with a beer or two but well worth it i think.

I could be wrong again, but you may even be able to avoid DMS from not having it boil by proper cold break. Could be wrong, maybe it just limits the effects.

Looked it up in "How to Brew". DMS is dimethyl sulfide and can cause a flavor of cooked corn or cabbage (yummy). It says nothing of it being reduced by the cold break, and I've never heard that either. It does say that it forms in boiling wort and escapes in the steam, which is the main reason for boiling without a cover...

Looked it up in "How to Brew". DMS is dimethyl sulfide and can cause a flavor of cooked corn or cabbage (yummy). It says nothing of it being reduced by the cold break, and I've never heard that either. It does say that it forms in boiling wort and escapes in the steam, which is the main reason for boiling without a cover...

Does this mean I can save money on corned beef and cabbage and just get to great flavor in my beer ?

Brooks - I'm right there with ya buddy.

I just brewed my first beginner batch yesterday afternoon -a 2 gallon Mr. Beer pilsner and steeped some grains before adding the HME (cause I like darker beers). I will likely move on to 5 gallon batches later this year, but I was glad yesterday to only have to deal with the smaller volume while learning.

Then, of course, I started the second guessing. Was my OG (1.035) what it should have been? Did I contaminate it somehow? Did I make it too dark? Should I have added DME instead of steeping?

When I checked on it last night and it wasn't showing much activity. Time for more worry. Did I mess up rehydrating and pitching the yeast? But then this morning it had a nice, thick, bubbly layer on top.

I've decided to stop worrying about it. If it comes out tasty, great. If not, hopefully the next batch will.:mug:

Do not use a lid . It just stops some evaporating bad things from getting out .

Yeah, the only way I can think a lid might affect your brew is in the release of the chlorine that water treatment plants typically drop into the water. That may not be that big a deal, but the guy who taught me how to brew told me that chlorine can contribute a slick, medicinal sweetness to the finished beer that can be alleviated by boiling the water lidless for about 5 minutes or so.

Again, that may not matter much, depending on where you live and how the water is treated there.

Also, it could totally be a myth! :)

As many have said before me don't worry you did fine. On my first brew I was so paranoid about bacteria that I took the time to boil my additional water. Only problem is this genius didn't know about cooling it down and tried to pour 2 gallons of near boiling water into a glass carboy! The result was a shattered carboy and a soaked kitchen! Over 200 brews later and I still laugh about it.
You stated you may use an outdoor burner to do your next batch. I highly encourage this. Not only will it decrease the time it takes to get to temp but if you have a boil over it isn't all over our stove! Another fun story that made me real popular with the wife!
Adding straight tap water to my carboys has never produced a bacterial infection in my beers. Therefore don't worry about it not being boiled. The goal is to work up to a larger pot so you can brew the entire batch. This improves enzymatic activity and gave me a more predictable Original Gravity.
Good luck on future brews and if you ever think you screwed up feel free to PM me and I will be happy to tell you how I did it worse!
Ryan Davis.

Ricochetbrew said:
As many have said before me don't worry you did fine. On my first brew I was so paranoid about bacteria that I took the time to boil my additional water. Only problem is this genius didn't know about cooling it down and tried to pour 2 gallons of near boiling water into a glass carboy! The result was a shattered carboy and a soaked kitchen! Over 200 brews later and I still laugh about it.
You stated you may use an outdoor burner to do your next batch. I highly encourage this. Not only will it decrease the time it takes to get to temp but if you have a boil over it isn't all over our stove! Another fun story that made me real popular with the wife!
Adding straight tap water to my carboys has never produced a bacterial infection in my beers. Therefore don't worry about it not being boiled. The goal is to work up to a larger pot so you can brew the entire batch. This improves enzymatic activity and gave me a more predictable Original Gravity.
Good luck on future brews and if you ever think you screwed up feel free to PM me and I will be happy to tell you how I did it worse!
Ryan Davis.

Thanks Ryan for the support and stories. I will definitely send some PMs I'm sure. Hope you have an excellent new year.

Dave Brooks

Brooks - I'm right there with ya buddy.

I just brewed my first beginner batch yesterday afternoon -a 2 gallon Mr. Beer pilsner and steeped some grains before adding the HME (cause I like darker beers). I will likely move on to 5 gallon batches later this year, but I was glad yesterday to only have to deal with the smaller volume while learning.

Then, of course, I started the second guessing. Was my OG (1.035) what it should have been? Did I contaminate it somehow? Did I make it too dark? Should I have added DME instead of steeping?

When I checked on it last night and it wasn't showing much activity. Time for more worry. Did I mess up rehydrating and pitching the yeast? But then this morning it had a nice, thick, bubbly layer on top.

I've decided to stop worrying about it. If it comes out tasty, great. If not, hopefully the next batch will.:mug:

DME addition will only add some malt flavor and ABV and body . Does not really change the flavor much actually . Use dark if you want a darker color or light for lighter . Taste it and you will see the flavor it has .
Steeping some grains is the way to get more of that flavor . I do this often with muntons and cooper no boil kits .plus some hops since these do not have hops in them for flavor or aroma .
If you want a good 6 gallon batch easy just buy a no boil can and then some grains , not too much just a few ounces of a couple that go with the style and some hops that go with it . Go ahead and boil it in a few gallons of water and then add your flavor and aroma hops . Drop it in fermenting bucket and add in cold water and yeast and wait . These no boil cans have hop oils for bitter but none else so boiling it will not change it any .

Back