recipe using light pilsen dme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I have about 3-4 lbs of light pilsen dme and I'm looking to brew this weekend. Does anyone have a good recipe that uses light pils dme? I'm only doing a 2.5 gallon brew but I can convert any suggested recipe. Thanks!

I used 4 lbs of light pilsen dme for my IIPA. So you could make an IPA/ IIPA with some crystal 40, and your choice of hops. Thats pretty much what I used, and some corn sugar during the boil. Turned out great, and great color. Check out my recipe if you'd like or read up a bunch in the database. The SRM is like 3-4 for the light pilsen, so it is very light.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/first-ipa-well-looks-like-iipa-349147/

you could make anythign with light pilsen dme, it just depends on what you like. IPA's, Stouts, Porters, Pumpkin Ale.... :mug:

Think of it as a replacement for light or pale extract. Use in any recipes that normally use Pilsner, 2-row, or Pale malt.

thanks for the responses everyone. I decided to go with a black ipa. I think it'll turn out nice!

You can also do a saison. I just brewed a Lemon Basil Saison with light pilsen and bavarian wheat DME.

Old thread I know, but it seems unnecessary to make a new thread.

Will there be a flavor difference between Pilsen and golden light DME for use in a barleywine or imperial stout?

I pretty much only use pilsen light dme. it has less unfermentables than the darker stuff, and I just add specialty grains to give it a darker color and other flavors. Even my bourbon barrel imperial stout used pilsen dme. it's the bee's knees.

looneybomber said:
Pilsen is more fermentable than golden light DME? I figured they'd be the same.

All the Briess DMEs give the same number of gravity points per pound per gallon according to their website.

Back