What Styles Can Be Made by SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strangelove

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a lot of Marris Otter as well as a pound each of Nugget, Cascade, Galena, Williamette, Columbus and Centennial.

I'm not averse to toasting some of the MO.

What can I make besides a cream ale or IPA?

Thanks for any/all ideas.

Barleywine with a looooooong boil and maybe some kettle caramelization?

Barleywine with a looooooong boil and maybe some kettle caramelization?

I've got a Barleywine in the works. I plan to brew a pale ale with the yeast I need and then pitch onto the yeast cake so I don't have to do the 6L starter recommended on Mr. Malty. I like where you're going with this, though.

The SmaSH is to get an extract brewing friend introduced to BIAB. I'm bringing the equipment to his place so I want to follow the KISS principal.

What would you recommend for ingredients?

Enough MO to get the gravity in the 1070 range. Williamette, cascade or nugget at 60, 15 and 5 to get you to around 30 IBUs. WLP 550. I'd add about 5-10% table sugar too, but that would ruin the SMaSH concept.

I have no problem adding sugar. It's still one malt and one hop.

How's this:

Recipe: Tripel Header SMaSH
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Tripel
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 10.90 gal
Post Boil Volume: 10.40 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated Color: 6.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
25 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 96.2 %
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 2 3.8 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 10.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 10.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 7.8 IBUs
2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.0 pkg Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) [35.49 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 26 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 51.69 qt of water at 162.0 F 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Looks pretty good; what's with the two 60 minute hop additions? I don't care much for 30 minute additions. I'd go 60, 15 and 5 on my typical tripel. I'd personally mash lower, say 150F as the target temperature, since I like my tripels bone dry and "digestible." Aside from that, looks fine -- on the way to producing a complex and interesting ale with shocking few ingredients.

Howdy,

I have a lot of Marris Otter as well as a pound each of Nugget, Cascade, Galena, Williamette, Columbus and Centennial.

I'm not averse to toasting some of the MO.

What can I make besides a cream ale or IPA?

Thanks for any/all ideas.

You can make loads of styles.

You might consider making an attempt at steeping some barley malt in a very, very stiff mash, without crushing the grain or fracturing the husks; so that, they convert their starch inside their shell.

Then set them in the oven to crystallize those sugars.

Looks pretty good; what's with the two 60 minute hop additions? I don't care much for 30 minute additions. I'd go 60, 15 and 5 on my typical tripel. I'd personally mash lower, say 150F as the target temperature, since I like my tripels bone dry and "digestible." Aside from that, looks fine -- on the way to producing a complex and interesting ale with shocking few ingredients.

The hop additions were just clerical errors entering into BeerSmith. I changed it to 1 oz of Nugget at 60, 15 and 5 for 34 IBU's. Reset mash temp to 150.

Sounds good.

You can make loads of styles.

You might consider making an attempt at steeping some barley malt in a very, very stiff mash, without crushing the grain or fracturing the husks; so that, they convert their starch inside their shell.

Then set them in the oven to crystallize those sugars.

I need to experiment with this. Sounds interesting.

English Bitter, special, ESB
English IPA
Old Ale
Barleywine

American Pale Ale/ IPA/ IIPA
Blonde Ale

Blonde Ale or Ordinary Bitter would be my first choices to allow the malt and hops to shine the most but I like where you're going by making a tripel. I did something sorta of similar with MO a couple months back using kettle carmelization to make a BDSA-ish ale with Wyeast 1762.

Back