6 hours into fermentation with strange results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldubya

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast 6 hours ago and so far no activity. The bottom is much darker than the top and there is also a ring of solid matter floating around the bottom as well. this is my third ever batch and I have yet to ever experience results like this.

ForumRunner_20120308_225337.jpg

Honestly it looks and sounds perfectly normal to me. I wouldn't expect any activity after just 6 hours and the color gradient and material on the bottom are likely a result of break material settling out. Leave it be. Step away from the carboy. Let the yeast do their thing in peace! :mug:

i agree about it being break material. it's the sludge that got moved from brewpot to carboy. it'll settle out, and the beer will make. it's all good, and the yeasties can handle it

Somebody give this guy the keys to the time machine! ZOOOOOOMM!!!

You must wait. Six hours is a very early time to see activity, unless you pitched on an active yeast cake or similar sized starter.

I've had that happen with low pitch temps too. I've re-hydrated,I've made starters,etc,& so far low pitch temps can cause the yeast to settle out with the fine grain trub stuff. I had to wait till the temp got back up into minimum range & swirl it a little to get it going. Keep an eye on it. Did you pitch dry or what? What was the pitch temp?

I've had similar results using whirlflock. It precipitates the break proteins. They eventually compact with yeast at the bottom.

Back