hop strainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learn to whirlpool either manually with a spoon or with the aid of a pump. I think you'll find that your trub will decrease substantially. Mine has been reduced to almost zero.

My LHBS sells small grain bags that I use for Hops straining. They are about 50% bigger than a sandwich bag. Work great, are reusable and they are just a couple bucks

I like to leave the hops in pure contact with the wort boil, so I strain after the boil. I have a stainless steel pasta strainer from Ikea that was like $3 and I sanitize it, put it on top of the bucket and then drain the kettle through it. Works great. Also, you get the added plus of great aeration by draining it through the strainer and letting it drop into the bucket.

Similar idea I put a 5 gal paint strainer bag in my bottling bucket (both sanitized of course) and pour the cooled wort into there. Then just move the bucket to the counter top and open up the drain (with sanitized tubing) into the carboy/bucket I'm fermenting in. Eventually it slows down and I gotta pull the paint strainer back and rock it back and forth to get the last bits of wort out, but it works like a charm. When i drain into the carboy i make sure the tubing is really high up and slosh it back and forth so that it splashes a lot when it drains.

I have used a small, fine mesh nylon bag for my hops since my very first brew. I bought it from Midwest, item #6300. The one I've used is showing signs of wear at the drawstring openings...so I just ordered a new one.

glenn514:mug:

Back