WYEAST 1332 Northwest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lower1310

Reaction score
I searched through the board and didn't find much information on this yeast. I have an IPA brewing, it has been in the primary for 12 days and still has a good Krausen. Fermentation temperature is around 64 degrees. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with this yeast, is it typical? Does this yeast take it's time reaching final gravity. I just took an SG reading and it was at 1.024 down from OG at 1.060. It still has decent activity and I expect it to continue to ferment, but any guesses on how long?

I fermented by first batch with this yeast recently. Took it from 1.044 to 1.011 in 4 days, about what I would expect. The krausen never dropped, so that might be a common trait, but it did attenuate to 74% in 4 days. 12 days is a long time to still be going for a 1.060 OG beer in my opinion.

Did you use a starter?

I know this post is almost 2 months old, but I used Northwest Ale yeast recently for an APA and it had activity for at least 10-11 days at 68 degs. After 17 days in primary I kegged it at a FG of 1.010 (SG was approx. 1.050).

I'm using the same yeast right now in an Aussie ale and the yeast is taking its sweet time. I think the krausen just doesn’t drop with this yeast.

I'm having a similar experience with the kraeusen staying on top. Its bet ~10 days and a decent portion is still floating on top. Any ideas how to get it down come bottling time?

I'm having a similar experience with the kraeusen staying on top. Its bet ~10 days and a decent portion is still floating on top. Any ideas how to get it down come bottling time?

Skim it off with a sanitized spoon - if you're fermenting in a bucket. If you're using a carboy, siphon vaery carefully and leave the kraeusen behind.

If the beer is finished, and at FG for at least three days, then you can rack from under the krausen.

When I've used this strain, I raised the temperature up to 70 at the tail end of fermentation, and the krausen did drop within a few days after being finished.

Just wanted to add that Wyeast 1332 yeast is actually an English Ale strain from Gales Brewery by way of Hales Brewery in Seattle. As such, you may want to adopt the English way of dealing with top cropping yeasts - either skim it during fermentation (also a good way to collect yeast for future brews) or use a blow off system that allows the yeast to leave the ferementor (i.e the "Burton Union' system)

I've had the same experience with this yeast. It does usually take a long time to drop, but it will eventually.

Yooper - that's an interesting note about raising the temp a little at the end. I just racked on a partial 1332 yeastcake and the temp got a bit higher this time (maybe 70-71) overnight before I brought it back to 67 and thought it was peculiar that the kraeusen dropped in 4 days this time. Normally it takes 2-3 weeks to drop, but in the past I always kept it at 66-68. Not sure if it's the temp or the huge amount of yeast from the cake. I might try it again and see what happens.

i fermented an amber at around 70°+ with this strain and the krausen still never completely dropped after 4 weeks in primary, i think it's just a trait of this strain

great strain, no significant unwanted esters even when temps got above 70°

Just finished an amber ale (all grain) using this yeast. As others have commented, the krausen never seems to drop. Left in the primary for 12 days total in the 65 to 70 degree range. Fermented vigorously for the first 5-6 days, with very little activity after that. Checked the FG, which came out exactly as planned at 1.014 (OG 1.056), so I went ahead and transferred half (5 gallons) to a corny keg, chilled it, filtered it and then force carbonated. Racked the other half to a secondary for comparison (and because I don't have room for another corny keg in the fridge).

I'm thinking that using this yeast for a quick turnaround beer was a huge mistake; there's an unmistakable spicy/phenol type fault... not so bad as to be undrinkable altogether, but definitely not what I was going for. I was expecting some mild fruity notes... instead I get clean maltiness but with a cinnamon-like phenol finish.

Anyone else had issues like this? Do you think it's this particular strain or am I just rushing it too much?

I know this post is old but I'm just now using this strain for an IPA, mainly because my HBS was out of WLP001. I was searching for answers to why this is taking so long. I've had it in the primary for almost 11 days now and still have activity. Krausen is still there and it seems to be doing what everyone else is saying theirs did so I'm happy about that. I was thinking of racking to a secondary because I still have to dry hop this batch. Any suggestions if anyone is still reading this post? Also on a side note I had a buddy that used this strain in one of his Ales, can't remember what kind, but he had the very same issues and also when I tasted his batch it definitely had some fruity notes in there. It was weird, I'm hopping the hops in this IPA will out weigh some of that but we'll see how it turns out. Cheers:drunk:

I've used this yeast for my stouts before. I pitched well and fermented around 64. Yeast would not drop after 10 days so I dropped the temp to 40; no problems thereafter. Clean taste, no fruitiness as described in the profile.

Remember that the pitching rate will dictate what the profile will taste like; the temperature will amplify how pronounced the esters are.

Hope that helps.

@Aunt_Ester,Ok so what you are saying is that after 10 days throw it somewhere to drop the temp. Too easy, my question is that you said after 10 days you dropped the temp to 40, then what? You just racked to secondary, bottled, kegged? I still have to dry hop this one and I guess I'm not sure what dropping the temp to 40 is going to do when and if there is still fermentation to be done. I'm on day 10 right now with it still in the primary. So will dropping it to 40 until the yeast drops, then racking to a secondary hurt the yeast? Especially since I don't have any idea what my FG is sitting at right now? I don't want to have to re-pitch again or anything crazy like that. Thanks in advance.
:drunk:
I've used this yeast for my stouts before. I pitched well and fermented around 64. Yeast would not drop after 10 days so I dropped the temp to 40; no problems thereafter. Clean taste, no fruitiness as described in the profile.

Remember that the pitching rate will dictate what the profile will taste like; the temperature will amplify how pronounced the esters are.

Hope that helps.

dropping to 40 is called cold crashing - usually drop it as close to freezing as you can to get yeast and anything else in suspension to drop out

you do this after all fermentation is done a day or 2 before you rack to bottling bucket or keg

dry hop before cold crashing then rack directly to bottling bucket or keg - no need for secondary to dry hop

@ Terrapinj, never heard of "cold crashing" I'll have to look into it, seems pretty easy. So what you are saying is just throw the hops in there now? I actually got impatient and just took a SG reading at 1.017 down from 1.055. I know this thing is still going in the primary so I'm guessing just let in go in there and add the hops? I just tasted my sample too and wow what an interesting taste, malty, hoppy, and fruity, but in a good way, I'm really curious to see how this turns out. I'm going to keg this one too so maybe I'll just cold crash, throw the hops in the keg with a bag and go that route. Any suggestions? Thanks much, cheers!:mug:

dropping to 40 is called cold crashing - usually drop it as close to freezing as you can to get yeast and anything else in suspension to drop out

you do this after all fermentation is done a day or 2 before you rack to bottling bucket or keg

dry hop before cold crashing then rack directly to bottling bucket or keg - no need for secondary to dry hop

wait until primary is done, i usually go 2 weeks then add dry hops for 1 week then cold crash for 1-2 days and then keg and usually dry hop again in the keg

if the yeast are still working after 2 weeks just wait till they finish up

if you can go colder than 40 go as close to 32° as you can to help the yeast drop out

Cool, thanks much, I really hope this yeast is worth all the extra trouble. Watch it come out and be the worst IPA ever. I'll still drink it because IPA's are my brew of choice but needless to say I'll be a bit disappointed. On the other hand it may be pretty good. I guess this one will take a bit longer than expected, either way thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I'm off to try to harvest some PacMan Yeast out of some Rogue Stout bottles, *sigh :rockin:

wait until primary is done, i usually go 2 weeks then add dry hops for 1 week then cold crash for 1-2 days and then keg and usually dry hop again in the keg

if the yeast are still working after 2 weeks just wait till they finish up

if you can go colder than 40 go as close to 32° as you can to help the yeast drop out

Alright so I'm on day 13 in the primary with this yeast. I'm down to 1.010 FG as of last night and let me just say the IPA tastes better than expected. The hops really balance out with the sweetness or fruitiness of this yeast. It is not to pronounced but this doesn't taste as sharp as the same IPA I did with WLP001. I've attached an image to show for future reference that the yeast will eventually start to fall. You can see it in my carboy sticking to the sides. It wasn't like this a few days ago. Also all the Krausen is gone to finally. Good thing I used my carboy for primary on this one or I wouldn't have been able to see this. So I will Cold Crash this thing tonight then keg once it is clear. Update on the IPA as soon as I can taste the finished product. Thanks for all the insight on this and hopefully this can help someone else in the future. :drunk:

IMG_1947.jpg

Just wanted to add the IPA came out really smooth for the 78IBU it is suppose to have, I'm guessing it is the yeast. It's a pretty smooth brew even with all the hops in it. A bit to mild for my taste but still drinkable for anyone who wants something of an IPA without all the bite. I'll use this yeast to brew beer for my wife............

I will resurrect this thread once more to add to the information available about this yeast.

I just racked a high-gravity mild off of this yeast this weekend (a clone of the Gale's festival mild, which I decided to brew after discovering that the Gale's brewery was the original source of this yeast). It had been sitting in the primary for about a month, two weeks in a swamp cooler at 65 degrees, and two weeks at 68 ambient. I had checked under the lid a few times, and had always seen krausen. So imagine my surprise when I opened the lid and discovered not a single yeast raft on top. So it will drop, you just have to give it time.

And when it drops, boy does it ever drop. This stuff gives a new meaning to highly flocculent. I was able to siphon all but about a quarter cup of beer off of the cake, and even when I was holding the bucket at an angle, the cake did not budge. The beer is clear, and early samples were quite good. Cannot wait to get this stuff carbonated and ready to drink.

In the mean time, I used part of the cake to get a clone of the Gale's Ordinary Bitter going. Gale's was bought out by Fullers a few years ago, and although Fullers apparently does release a few of their beers from time to time, it is nice to think of myself as preserving some endangered recipes.

Racked an APA off this yeast yesterday after 4 weeks in the primary. Holy tartness Batman. Fermented a batch cool (60 degrees) and warm (70 degrees). I can't detect much difference in flavour. The cool-fermented batch was visibly clearer although both flocculated very well.

Oh baby.

I snuck a taste of the mild over the weekend. This beer couldn’t be more English if it sang “Land of Hope and Glory” when you opened the bottle. Tart, yes. But between the Marris Otter, the crystal, and the black, there is enough malt backbone to stand up to the tartness. A lot of dried fruit, raisin in particular, like a desert wine. The interplay of the malts and the yeast was reminiscent of Beamish stout. I would love to see if I could get enough attenuation out of this yeast to make a proper dry stout; I think that would be an absolute winner.

I want to jump in here and say, my AIPA smells magnificent. Same thing though, holding Krausen. I hope the flavors that are described above come through for me. I have a massive load of Amarillo and am dry hopping with Amarillo/Simcoe starting this afternoon. Fermenting at 66*

Used this yeast for the first time in my IPA using only Chinook hops. Ibus are around 71. It was a smack pack. Krausen took a while to drop. I dry hopped in primary on top of it. Went grain to glass in 13 days and is by far my favorite brew.

Just to add, I am using this for a frankenstein amber which I used Mountmellick Light and Briess Amber for with lots of Liberty additions. Top cropping? Looks like that spray foam insulation stuff or foaming marsmallow

WP_20130425_002.jpg

An offering to the thread resurrection gods!

Just to add, I am using this for a frankenstein amber which I used Mountmellick Light and Briess Amber for with lots of Liberty additions. Top cropping? Looks like that spray foam insulation stuff or foaming marsmallow

WP_20130425_002.jpg

Good thing you have a fire extinguisher handy! I'd recommend a CO2 extinguisher for cold crashing the beer...

Oh baby.

I snuck a taste of the mild over the weekend. This beer couldn’t be more English if it sang “Land of Hope and Glory” when you opened the bottle. Tart, yes. But between the Marris Otter, the crystal, and the black, there is enough malt backbone to stand up to the tartness. A lot of dried fruit, raisin in particular, like a desert wine. The interplay of the malts and the yeast was reminiscent of Beamish stout. I would love to see if I could get enough attenuation out of this yeast to make a proper dry stout; I think that would be an absolute winner.

I have used british 1 wyeast for my brown ales and was going to try London 1 next but I want raisin notes and have this northwest yeast just now. I think I will try the northwest.

Anyone else notice a really large krausen with this yeast? I have a pretty simple APA/IPA going right now in a 6.5 gallon bucket and the krausen hit the underside of the lid with maybe 5.25 gallons in it.

Not only that but it is slowing down after 24 hours. I bet airlock activity is barely going by 48 hours. We will see how long the krausen sticks around.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I don't brew many American styled beers, but when I do I use this yeast. A lot more character than Chico/1056/001/US05 (that yeast bores me to be honest), but not nearly as in your face "English" as my usual English strains. That said, I don't brew many American beers and they're usually in buckets where I don't watch them, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with it. Fermented at the bottom of the range in the mid 60s, usually hits FG in 3-4 days, I usually give it 3-4 weeks in primary before bottling it, tastes good, drops bright, all that stuff.

I don't brew many American styled beers, but when I do I use this yeast.

You should have followed that up with "stay thirsty my friends" :)

Seriously though, I think it probably is due to warmer temps. I don't have any temp control so it is 72-74 most of the time.

So this yeast is pretty strange. I had an explosion on day 1 which almost blew out the bubbler but quickly receded, then slowed considerably for day two, then it picked up around day 4 and is still going strong late into day 5. Like one bubble per second strong. Never seen anything like it. Since it is in a bucket I can't tell what is going on but it smells normal. Weird yeast.

Im having trouble getting this one to start fermenting. Anyone else experience this?

Not with Northwest. Sometimes I have had to wait over 24 hours for a yeast to kick off, especially in a cooler garage.:tank:

It finally kicked off after about 48 hrs. I was worried for a bit. The Chipotle stout is on it's way.

Hey everyone, I've got the same results with this strain. Krausen hasn't dropped yet and it's been three weeks. The blow off is still bubbling but I have to secondary anyways to dry hop. If it hasn't quite finished yet is it OK to transfer and dry hop?

Back