Mayan Calendar End of the World

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinich

Reaction score
As we all know the world will end on Dec 21, 2012 at 11:11am according to the mayan calendar,

My brew partner and I were discussing the possibilities of an "End of the World party" starting on or about Dec 20 2012, and continuing until the End of the World"

What mead would you brew, knowing you've got two+ years to age. And possible themes?

We thought maybe a high alcohol fruit mead (tamarind?) Called "Motezumas Revenge"

Any other ideas or possibilities

D

Chico beer
partially malt the corn and mash with sufficient 6 row

Oh maybe partially smoked

I started an Orange Blossom mead back in August that I'm going to put on some oak for a long while, and then bottling September '12 for this purpose.

I originally was going to do two batches, one of Scandinavian theme, the other of Mayan theme. Ragnarok and 12/21 mead, but so far I haven't gotten to the Ragnarok mead.

I've seen some shows about this that suggest 12/21 is not necessarily the end of the world, or the calendar, but it is an end of an age, and the calendar either resets, or just continues on.

I agree that having a dysentery nickname would be gross, not to mention the fact that Montezuma was an Aztec, not a Mayan. I read a book once called Maya Cosmogenesis 2012 that was pretty interesting--you might find some inspiration for names, if nothing else...

http://edj.net/mc2012/mayacosmo.htm

2012 'end of the world' talk is so freaking dumb. I know off the bat if I'm going to hate someone simply if they mention 2012....

Someone at work bet me 100 dollars that 2012 IS the end of the world....what a dumbas s...that means I get 100 bucks AND if he's right it won't matter.

Anyways, just going to continue making mead like before.

Actually, I'm looking foreward to 2012 because retarded people are going to spend all of their money thinking they're going to die. Bring it.

I'm old enough to have lived through at least 5 major end-of-the-world predictions, including Y2K.

My wager: Brew your heart out. World ends? At least you can be drunk when it happens. Doesn't end? At least you can be drunk when it happens.

Yumil Kaxob Mead:
Yucatan Honey (or what ever is cheapest and to your liking)
+
Sweet Corn

With a knife cut the sweet corn off the cobb into a brew bucket. Mash it up good. Add water and honey then pitch yeast. Its up to you if cook the corn first or use it raw (in good sweet corn years you can eat it raw, but if it is not a good year cook it.)

Add more sweet corn to secondary after racking.

Bulk age till clear, then bottle.

At least you can be drunk when it happens.
that's pretty much my philosophy about everything.

getting married? At least you can be drunk when it happens.

giving a eulogy? At least you can be drunk when it happens.

liver surgery? At least you can be drunk when it happens.

You could call it Ranting & Raving Mead ... as that's what most of those "end-of-the-world" folks do.
How wild is it that we'd start the 2012 party on my birthday?

I got a sweet liqueur in the Yucatan called Xtabentun. Yucatan honey, anise, and some local herbs in a rum liqueur. Might be a direction to check out. The honey and anise flavour is pretty cool together.

My bottle's getting low, but I'll probably hold off on more until my end of the world party. Glad to know someone has similar plans.

We were just sitting around having some homebrew Lemongrass, that was excellent, and started talking about a get together.

We started throwing ideas out there and thought, Very tongue in cheek, about the 2012 End of the World party.

What kind of design theme, music selection, food, and of course what kind of brew.

I was caught in my ignorance of Aztec vs Mayan, sorry.

Montezumas Revenge, yeh, not a good name for a mead. We'll work on it.

Thanks for the input, if your close to central Texas about that time swing by and have a good time with us

D

If it is gonna be the end of the world, I would make one gallon of each fruit that I love as it will be kinda like the last dinner... One raspberry, one melon of some kind, banana, pineapple.. etc... might as well wake up the next day on the other side with a killer hangover..;):tank:

I got a sweet liqueur in the Yucatan called Xtabentun. Yucatan honey, anise, and some local herbs in a rum liqueur. Might be a direction to check out. The honey and anise flavour is pretty cool together.

My bottle's getting low, but I'll probably hold off on more until my end of the world party. Glad to know someone has similar plans.

THAT STUFF....IS AWESOME....:ban:

When the Maya did ritual sacrifice the women would pierce their tongue with a razor sharp black obsidian blade, the men on the other hand would pierce... well a different part of their body. The blood would be put in a bowl and offered to the gods to get what you want. So you should make a jet black obsidian mead or a bright red mead. It's best to have the gods happy.
Honey was a major commodity, as was their chocolate drink which was coco nibs, chiles and true cinnamon.

you could always combine the two.

I always thought Dec 21, 2012 is not supposed to be the end of the world, but when it changes (again).

For all we know, the world may tilt on its axis another couple of degrees or the world will flip entirely. Maybe Chicago will end up being located at the new North Pole or down under? :drunk:

One of my ex-coworkers said maybe the guy who carved the calendar said to himself, aw, F*kk it...I'm stopping here because they won't remember who carved this when it happens anyway...

Back