Carboy shield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddiebud

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used one of these? I'm thinking about when summer rolls around. We don't have a basement and our home runs about 78 degrees in the summer; a bit warm for brewing. Do you think it would work well to keep the temperature down?

During active fermentation the wort/beer will produce heat and become warmer than the ambient air. The sleeve you linked to will simply trap in more heat. Some people put their carboys in some water and drape a towel or shirt over it which helps cool.

I bought one of these before I really looked into temp control. IMO, it was a waste of money. Especially like the above post said during primary fermentation it will just insulate that heat, keeping it in.

For around $10, you can get a keg tub or garbage can and regulate the temp a little better. Add a $20 aquarium heater and you've got temp control in the wintertime as well.

For around $10 you could buy a roll of that bubble wrap stuff and a roll of duct tape and make about 10 of them.

It seriously looks like a piece of insulating bubble wrap taped together.

It will just make your beer warmer. Can't fight thermodynamics. Room at 78 means beer at 78. Exothermic beeraction of beermentation means beer gets warmer. The shield holds that heat IN, meaning your beer stays hot even longer.

Tub of water, T-shirt, and a fan. Cheaper, and it'll actually work.

Edit: Sweet! Charlotte! I visit a company there on business trips plenty, love that place.

Back