Weighing the cost of milling your own?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a spreadsheet. I pay roughly $1.89/pound for 2-row pale malt at LHBS and it gets milled. I can pick up $50# for $60 though unmilled. They charge .10 per pound to mill.

If I pay $179 for a mill (which I can adjust and even get better efficiency from) if I average 10# base malt per batch my break even point is 7 batches.

Also if you can increase your efficiency with a tighter mill and only need 9# per batch base malt then you're looking at breaking even at 6 batches.

At batch #20 you're up about $1700 buying bulk.

Feel free to tell your wives

You pay $1.89# for milled grain. OUCH!!!

You definitely are getting run through the mill.

I did a spreadsheet. I pay roughly $1.89/pound for 2-row pale malt at LHBS and it gets milled. I can pick up $50# for $60 though unmilled. They charge .10 per pound to mill.

If I pay $179 for a mill (which I can adjust and even get better efficiency from) if I average 10# base malt per batch my break even point is 7 batches.

Also if you can increase your efficiency with a tighter mill and only need 9# per batch base malt then you're looking at breaking even at 6 batches.

At batch #20 you're up about $1700 buying bulk.

Feel free to tell your wives

The numbers (atleast for me) are better than that.

$25 for Corona mill (although A barley Crusher/etc would be nice).

$37 for 55lbs of 2-row.

Sounds good to me. I didn't spend that much on my mill though. I think I paid $120 plus shipping for my Barley Crusher. When I decided to take the AG route, it wasn't really about the cost as much as the control. I never really even calculated the cost differences beyond the cost of extracts vs the costs of grains, which was significant in itself. I wanted the mill so I could buy my grains and then brew whenever I felt like it. If I bought milled grains, I would need to brew rather quickly and it would also keep me from buying anything in bulk...

I have ONE LHBS. No lie.

I have NO LHBS. Not within 150 miles, anyway. But, you can order online and do ok. I bought a 55 pound bag of MO including shipping for around $75, and a bag of 2-row for $57. Shipping was $6.99, flat rate from austinhomebrew.com when I bought Vienna malt and pilsner malt.

My barley crusher was $125.

The best part isn't the savings, really, though. The best part is I can say, "Hmmmm- I want to brew!" and I can run to the basement and whip up a pretty nice grainbill. I have a few pounds of most specialty malts, and plenty of hops in the freezer. To me, that's the most wonderful part of buying in bulk and milling my own.

I have NO LHBS. Not within 150 miles, anyway. But, you can order online and do ok.

Same boat here (maybe not quite 150 miles, but still). I look at it this way: for $7, Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse weighs my grain, crushes it in his mill, packages it up nice, and ships it to my door.

I balance the slight premium over wholesale with not having to hide large buckets of grain from SWMBO...

Both LHBS around me sell a 50# sack for $50 or $61.95. I would love to pay $37 but that's not happening for me.

$1.89/lb is quite a bit. I think for 2-row my LHBS has it for $1.09 regardless of whether it's milled or not. However, like others, I can find 55# bags of 2-row for $0.60/lb or so. According to my calculations, it will take about 30 batches to cover the cost of my barley crusher.

I'm with BreckBastion. .60 or .65 a pound for 55lb sacks. Plus a discount for AHA. 1.89/pound...ouch. But I still think it's worth it to mill your own. better effciency, and better yet, more consistant efficiency. which means, more consistant beers.

Well, I'm really at the point w/ LHBS that I'll only go there for emergencies.

Totally, lately ive been takin a hard hit from my lhbs and am also thinking about going bulk. Although I did get a pound of cascade for 24$ from there and thats not bad.

Well, I'm really at the point w/ LHBS that I'll only go there for emergencies.

Me too. Everything I get now is online. Even with the $7-8 shipping still works out cheaper. For example I called last week and asked how much for a secondhand 5g keg. They said $50 plus the o-rings needed changing.

If you buy in 50# increments from my lhbs, it is only 32.50 for 50 pounds, so I get a good deal on that. I am just limited in the specialty grain that I can get and I am really considering ordering more of that in bulk. I'd love a bag of Maris Otter and then like 10 pounds of a bunch of different grains.

I mill my own, and often shop around online for cheaper ingredients and supplies. However, I also have a little Munsoned sitting on my shoulder that says "Even if it costs more, you should support your LHBS." Bastard.

I mill my own, and often shop around online for cheaper ingredients and supplies. However, I also have a little Munsoned sitting on my shoulder that says "Even if it costs more, you should support your LHBS." Bastard.

I support my LHBS with some occasional purchases but I can't afford to buy everything from them. They don't sell 50lb sacks of 2-row... just 10lb, and they get $16 for those. The specialty grains are all in 1lb bags and they are $2.50 per pound.

Specialty grains local would be a good idea. I don't need 50lbs of crystal malt.

$50 for second-hand kegs someone said? That's ridiculous.

Back