Making chips on the BBQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
During summer I cook outside more than in.

Who said you can't make chips on a BBQ?
I hate my house smelling of a chip shop.

By orfy

It may look like **** but if you've never had a chip and egg butty with red sauce and a snotty yolk you don't know what you are missing.

Tell 'em Gnomey.

I could see my self getting nice and pissed and scarfing that down...

Local pub over here has a great rarebit that I have them put two eggs on. I mush up the eggs so the yolk pours out all over the rarebit and chips and...

Oh god.. I'm getting so hungry now.

(Oh yeah, I like a side of curry instead of the red sauce or mayo)

Red sauce is tomato sauce.

Rarebit is cheese on toast. (various recipes) usually with onion, maybe beer and mustard.

1730956478_8b7cf7fedd.jpg

I knew swmbo took a pic of it...

3836915s.jpg

The bread is under there.. somewhere. :D

Oh wait.. I'm wrong. That's the poutine with eggs from Shopsin's in NYC... :(

Basically yeah.. it's a thick slice of bread with a beer-ish cheese sauce baked on top.
With a side of chips.
And two eggs...

My stomach is really hating this thread right now.

Wife got the dry heeves from this thread. I got in the kitchen to make some up. Humm but her idea of gourmet is McNuggs.

MMMMM Welsh rarebit....I know what I'm making tomorrow as well as brewing up a Hefe! :mug:

I miss the chippies in Devon. It's been too long since I've been there. :(

MMMMM Welsh rarebit....I know what I'm making tomorrow as well as brewing up a Hefe! :mug:

I miss the chippies in Devon. It's been too long since I've been there. :(

My Daughter lives in Devon! Keep your hands off her chips or I might have to do something to your naughty bits that could cause a certain amount of bleeding! :cross:

Really, what's the diff between chips and fries? Those sure look exactly like fries in the op. I thought they were the same thing just different words.
I thought: Chips=French Fries=Pomme Frites

I have a similar deep fryer and MUCH prefer to use it outside. Esp if I'm cooking fish. They really stink up the house.

IMO, frozen fries are the best. Even if you make homemade fries...blanching and then freezing them and cooking them from frozen yields the best product IME. So I just buy the frozen stuff.

Look just like the fries that we used to make when I was a kid and can still get at plenty of places. I think most places call them Steak Fries, or Planks, or Home Fries, or Wedges. Lots of places nowadays are cooking them with spices.

Look just like the fries that we used to make when I was a kid and can still get at plenty of places. I think most places call them Steak Fries, or Planks, or Home Fries, or Wedges. Lots of places nowadays are cooking them with spices.

I know what you mean, but they are still not chips.....It's very hard to explain, so I won't try. :cross:

I've never had chips in the US unless I made them myself

That link does help clarify.

To me and everyone I've ever known well enough to know such things...it doesn't matter if it's a huge, fat 'steak' fry or a tiny, thin shoestring fry...they're all just french fries. So 'UK chips' are french fries by my (admittedly extremely loose) definition of french fries. They're just a certain variety of fries. The term 'French Fries' pretty much covers any fried potato stick. Thick or thin, curly or straight, soggy or crispy, lightly salted or fully seasoned...or vinegar'd and wrapped in newspaper...they're all just fries in my neck of the woods.

That article HJ linked does make UK chips sound awesome though. On a related note, when I went to Germany every pomme frite I had was almost identical to every other pomme frite I had there. It was like all of Bavaria used the same brand of frozen pomme frite (edit: and they were just mediocre fries imo). In the US, there are almost as many styles/varieties of fries as there are restaurants. Everybody makes 'em a little different.

I simply must make fish and chips for dinner tonight. That is all.
I'll be pulling a nice filet of Haddock from the freezer tonight for just that. Where I come from the 'chips' in Fish 'n Chips are just little fried morsels of the fish batter. And we always put vinegar on those (and the fish). But I use Panko these days and serve it with fries.

Chips are not the same as french fries!

You'll get different views in different countries.

But here goes from a UK perspective.

This is a chip They should be no thinner than a finger and support their own weight. The best ones are made at home or in a chip shop. Be aware the crapper pubs and other outlets sell premade frozen oven chips that are NOT the real thing.

Chip.jpg

This is a french fry, no fatter than a pencil and usually sold by the fast food outlets.

09_24_7---Chips-French-Fries_web.jpg

This is a crisp.

crisps_bowl440.jpg

You would never ever ever make a french fry sandwich but you would make a chip butty! (and a crisp butty)

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-chunky-chips

That is actually a good guide and has the double cook method which is the secrect to light fluffy crispy chips.

Orfy,
In the US (at least in the southeast):
Your top pic = french fries
Your second pic = french fries
Your bottom pic = chips

The article linked above said that UK chips had vinegar and were kinda soggy. One of my favorite things on fries is wing sauce (which is mostly vinegar) and I kinda like 'em a little soggy from the wing sauce.

I simply must make fish and chips for dinner tonight. That is all.

Fook it. I'm making fish and chips this afternoon now. I can't wait for wifey to get home. She can have a grape or something. If I find we are out of malt vinegar I might have to kill someone.

the double cook method which is the secrect to light fluffy crispy chips.

I think this is the major difference, beyond size. Fries in the USA are almost always cooked in a single cycle and that tends to make them darker and crisper.

I think this is the major difference, beyond size. Fries in the USA are almost always cooked in a single cycle and that tends to make them darker and crisper.
Are you sure David? I've worked in many restaurants, some of which cut/cooked their own fries. They all cooked them twice. Frozen fries are cooked twice and most places don't make their own from scratch...so all the frozen fries are twice-cooked as well.

I'm almost certain the reason for this is...twice-cooked fries are just way better than single-cooked fries. 25 years ago not everyone knew this but now pretty much everyone does (freezing between each frying is even better imo). True, some places still single-cook their fries (like The Varsity in Atlanta, Ga...right across from my alma mater so I ate there quite a bit) but their fries are limp, yet dark, yet not very crispy, yet very 'dense' inside and not fluffy. IOW, they kinda suck (but I'm sure some folks love 'em just like that).

I'm just very interested because I want to try making UK chips at home...but only if there is some major difference between UK chips and 'fat' fries in the US (I already make 'fat' fries at home).

SCA,
I think part of the difference might have to do with the beef dripping. I've never had an authentic "chip", but I'd be interested to try some. This is from the article I referenced:

Real chips are made with real potatoes, peeled (badly) and cut into half-inch fingers then fried at least twice in beef dripping. They have a flavour that is a universe apart from French Fries. They should, of course, be wrapped in newspaper.

SCA,
I think part of the difference might have to do with the beef dripping. I've never had an authentic "chip", but I'd be interested to try some. This is from the article I referenced:

Darn you! I thought I'd get to be the one to point that out. Beef drippings and double fried seems to be the difference between "chips" and steak fries.

McDonalds fries were fried in beef fat for the longest time weren't they? And they were frozen so they were double-cooked. Since waaaaayyyyy back when AFAIK.

Bring it on. The great chip debate. I'm glad to see you are all taking it seriously even Gnomey boy.

Chips in beef dripping are better than sunflower oil but most are now cooked in sunflower oil.

I've had them in pork fat before. I save the fat from my belly pork and cook chips and egg in it.

I've been known to have dripping butty before now.
[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dripping+butty&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a]dripping butty - Google Search[/ame]

Back