Help! Leaky corny keg vent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I kegged up a nut brown tonight and among other problems.......

(see here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/maybe-my-first-bad-batch-93298/#post1011774

..... when I soap tested it I discovered a leak at the vent on the lid. I tried moving it around and up and down, but could not make it go away. I even turned the lid completely around. It is leaking at the base of the vent where the little holes are.

In all of my reading and studying of kegging, I don't remember seeing any thing regarding a leak form this area.

I hit it with 25 pounds, disconected from the CO2 bottle and left it in the fridge for now.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Are you referring to the pressure relief valve? First off I would flush it with hot water to clean any debris/sticky residue out (cover your beer with something while doing so). Try turning it around some while doing so to help clean it. You can get replacements, but I've never replaced one myself.

If you're referring to the actual seal around the lid, you were right with hitting it with some pressure. Most kegs, since they are ment to hold even higher pressure, won't get a good seal until you hit it with about 30 PSI.

I think you need a new vent. ;)

Does it look like this: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG_LID_VALVE_P92C78.cfm

Sometimes it's just cheaper to buy a few extra kegs for "parts" when they become available for cheap. Pedalbiker has some good deals now and again--he's in the classifieds.

EDIT again: before purchasing another vent, you could pull the old one and check the o-ring, maybe some lube will help it seat.

Dumb question, but is the valve tight on there? I had one that somehow became a bit loose, and I just tightened it and the leak was fixed. It was like it just screwed in.

I think you need a new vent. ;)

Does it look like this: KEG LID VALVE @ Williams Brewing

Sometimes it's just cheaper to buy a few extra kegs for "parts" when they become available for cheap. Pedalbiker has some good deals now and again--he's in the classifieds.

EDIT again: before purchasing another vent, you could pull the old one and check the o-ring, maybe some lube will help it seat.

Yep, thats the one. I will try Moto's idea and give it a good wash first.

Dumb question, but is the valve tight on there? I had one that somehow became a bit loose, and I just tightened it and the leak was fixed. It was like it just screwed in.

I will try that as well and report back.

UPDATE: Ok, I screwed it out and gave it a good cleaning and made sure it was screwed back down tight. Seemed OK for a minute, then started leaking again. Must be shot.

I hit it with about 30# and will leave it sit for awhile then disconnect the gas. I hope it will be OK in the fridge for a couple of days??

Two of the used kegs I bought had finicky valves - you could wiggle them just right and get them to seal, but it was a crap shoot.

I went and bought some metal putty at Home Depot that you cut by the slice and massage it all together. About an hour later you have a keg that will never leak from the pressure relief valve again.

Jonnio- How do you relieve pressure if you have it tapped and want to drop your PSI (say force carbing)? Just take off your gas line and depress the poppet? I guess it's not that hard but *shrugs* If you bought the kegs reconditioned or 'guaranteed to hold pressure' I would contact the seller.

Hope it works out Ceedubya!

That's what I do - just push in the poppet. It is needed so few and far between that I really don't worry about it.

I didn't buy the kegs reconditioned and they did hold pressure, but they were finicky. One time I would vent it and it would be fine, the next time I would vent it and it would leak everywhere. Plus they were only like $12 a pop, so I wasn't going to worry too much about it. The fix was easy, cheap, and very effective.

Left it under pressure for about an hour, and then the leak seemed to go away?????

Anyway, left it under pressure till I get back home tomorrow and will check then. In the mean time, I picked up an extra valve at the LHBS, wich is 90 miles away (just happens I was passing through today for work).

I will check it tomorrow and if it is still leaky I will replace with the new one.

Back