A twist on apfel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonbrew541

Reaction score
Not to mess with the famous apfelwein but this one is a little sweeter and u can follow original recipe instructions.

-5 gallons of treetop apple cider from concentrate (I chose this because i didn't want any ascorbic acid and i like its taste)
-2 lbs of dextrose
-4 tbs of malic acid
-wyeast liquid cider yeast
-yeast nutrient

My Og 1.0060

Ill update occasionally with pics
Suggestions always appreciated!

image-689155977.jpg

(Left)12 hours later (right) 3 days later

image-2823014844.jpg

Attachments

• image-3731687301.jpg
    image-3731687301.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 296
Does anybody think that there's too much head space? Also i smell a very very lite sulfur smell and was curious to know if it will fade i used wyeast liquid cider yeast I've heard it's normal if u don't oxiginate when u add yeast and how you you oxiginate????

Does anybody think that there's too much head space?
No, looks fine for Primary fermentation.

Also i smell a very very lite sulfur smell and was curious to know if it will fade i used wyeast liquid cider yeast I've heard it's normal if u don't oxiginate when u add yeast and how you you oxiginate????
"Rhino Farts" can come from stressed yeast. I usually add yeast energizer at the beginning of every batch. The brand I use says 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

As for oxygenation / aeration / mixing, consider getting a wine whip. It attaches to a cordless drill. See the pic below.

wine_whip.jpg

UpstateMike said:
No, looks fine for Primary fermentation.

"Rhino Farts" can come from stressed yeast. I usually add yeast energizer at the beginning of every batch. The brand I use says 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

As for oxygenation / aeration / mixing, consider getting a wine whip. It attaches to a cordless drill. See the pic below.

Is there a difference between yeast nutrient and energizer? I only added added about 2 tbs of nutrient i smelled today and it smelled better but i can still smell it i think I'm just being picky though. I also took og reading and its ready to go to secondary.

Is it odd that it fermented from 1.0060 to 1.0010 in a week and a half? Should i move to secondary or let it sit a little longer?

Just finished today. It was incredible i did end up adding some natural apple concentrate from lhbs i brought it out to a bonfire and nearly every person tried it and came back for more and more. Few of my brew buddies are starting there own batches now!

I might get some malic acid and try this recipe out for my next project, what kind of yeast did you use? I see Wyeast, but that's just the brand.

Latest posts

Back