Brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew2u

Reaction score
I'm beginning to build my brewstand with 3 converted keggles and was wondering how high I should make the stand off the ground

If they're all at the same height, using a pump or 2, then literally it depends on how tall you are, and how tall the tallest kettle is. You'll want to be able to see and work easily into your mash tun and kettle while standing on the ground without a step stool. My stand is a gravity system, and the kettle is on the burner that sits on the ground. I started there. There are no set rules.

For Gravity brewing it is important to have the outlet of the HLT to be above the mash tun, and the boil kettle to be below the mash tun outlet. In the picture below all the equipment is stepped down. The ceiling (of my garage) is the top rectangular rendition of a ceiling. The HLT is at the top. I have a table holding the mash tun and the kettle is sitting on the floor of my breezeway. The carboy is on the floor of my garage. All works on gravity except when I have to lift the hot liquids up to the ceiling and table.
brew-table-10-gal-59529.jpg

It's gonna be single tier with 2 pumps 3 Keggles and powered by propane

That sounds pretty sweet. Just figure out a good working height. Account for tallest kettle, and also factor in some wheels. You gotta be able to move it easily. That'll be fun to build.

Sounds just like mine that I am having built in Lockport right now, the height I settled on was 24" before the casters.

The first and foremost part is how high do you want it. I am 6'2". My kegs fit in the brew stand when the day is done. You are only limited by your imagination.

I don't think it's too low since that is the measurement I went with. I should have it tomorrow, if so I'll post a pic.

I am also 6' 2". The legs of my stand are 24" then the top section is 2" and the wheels are 4". So the stand is 30".
For me it's about just right, if I change the wheels at some point I might lower it an inch or two but like I said, it's about just right.
Now for my wife, she brews with me sometime, it's to tall and I use a step stool for her to use to stir the mash. Not a big deal and we normally tag team it.
So, I would say if you are less than 6', make it shorter.

Back