Y'know what America needs more of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went on Facebook today and saw the following: Numerous baby pictures of which I'd estimate 75% are either unfortunate looking or unfortunately named, numerous animal adoption posts, several far left and far right political rants from people whose parents still pay for their cell phones (deleted them as friends today), and several sepia-toned overexposed pictures of meals that women seem to love to take and upload, but I would never eat.

I'm 30, and can relate 100%. Most of my friends are having their first child, so their life is 100% consumed by the little hell-beasts therefore they all feel the need to share them on Facebook. I also have another "friend" that posts 100% far left political crap. About every 20th posts, she makes a promise to stop posting far left political crap.

Hey I have no problem with hippy dippy grains. I dont even have a problem with vegetarian food... when eaten in moderation!

Vegetarian food is fine. I do take umbrage when they start trying to make meat out of veggies (see: veggie ribs). It's not meat so stop lying and telling me it's the same...

I only ever met 1 vegan in my life. she told me no meat no fish no no milk nothing that was ever a living breathing creature or came from a living breathing creature. she then proceeded to sit down and have a beer and a sandwich in front of me.
I asked her if yeast counted

Description: Vegan seitan BBQ ribs. :eek:
What the....Vegan sietan (What is Seitan?) Ribs!?!?!?
Why would someone do that to RIBS?

Please don't ever post anything about Vegan (dare I say it) Bacon!

Dude, it's not mine! Some chick I went to college with posted it on Facebook along with a daily barrage of her meals. Interestingly enough they're all before consumption and not post.

I love ribs. I love pork and beef. I seriously f'in love bacon.

Confession... one night my ex-girlfriend decided that we were going to have a "macrobiotic" beet salad with raw beets and I think every vegetable grown in the world.

The confession part is that I loved it.

Had cured pork with garlic shoots the next night though.

if you're going to that much trouble to make it as close to meat as possible, just eat the friggin' meat

if it's that nasty in its true form that you have to disguise it as meat, just eat the friggin' meat

I asked her if yeast counted

HAHAHA, did it?

Confession... one night my ex-girlfriend decided that we were going to have a "macrobiotic" beet salad with raw beets and I think every vegetable grown in the world.

The confession part is that I loved it.

Had cured pork with garlic shoots the next night though.

Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I have nothing against vegetarians or vegans. I do vegetarian friendly meals every once in a while and usually don't realize it's vegetarian till it's on my plate. What I do have a problem with is sanctimonious and judgmental vegetarians/vegans. Good for you for not eating meat, no I don't really care how meat is made, now please leave me alone and let me eat my steak.

Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I have nothing against vegetarians or vegans. I do vegetarian friendly meals every once in a while and usually don't realize it's vegetarian till it's on my plate. What I do have a problem with is sanctimonious and judgmental vegetarians/vegans. Good for you for not eating meat, no I don't really care how meat is made, now please leave me alone and let me eat my steak.
Agreed! I don't make it a point to go out of my way to annoy Vegetarians/Vegans with my meaty meals so please don't annoy me with your reasons for avoiding meat. It's just more meat for me and more veggies for you!

Agreed! I don't make it a point to go out of my way to annoy Vegetarians/Vegans with my meaty meals so please don't annoy me with your reasons for avoiding meat. It's just more meat for me and more veggies for you!

I do go out of my way to annoy veggies if they've got a holier-than-thou attitude about it

plus, my birthday is Eat a Tasty Animal for PETA Day

Hey, I'm kind of liking this EATAPETA thing you've shown me!

One of my favorite and most complimented T-shirts is my "People Eating Tasty Animals" shirt.

but to get back on topic, what this America needs more of:

Respect for oneself and others!

There is a reasonable way to educate people. I never would have known that sharks are fished in such a repellent fashion had it not been for GoofyNewfie, and now I avoid them. I wasnt accosted with this knowledge, I asked for it.

I have a t-shirt that says "meat is murder... tasty, tasty murder"

Haha that's brilliant.

There is a reasonable way to educate people. I never would have known that sharks are fished in such a repellent fashion had it not been for GoofyNewfie, and now I avoid them. I wasnt accosted with this knowledge, I asked for it.

Precisely. Teach instead of lecturing and you get better results.

I love schooling preachy vegetarians/vegans. I'm in the same boat I'll listen to anyone's opinion but when you get preachy I turn into a jerk. When someone says about how humans are supposed to be vegetarians, I point to my canines and ask them if they know the basic dental function of those teeth. I usually get a plethora of excuses after that but by then I have the conversation won.

I just ask them why we can't digest cellulose. The result of this is usually confused looks because they have no idea what that is.

I just ask them why we can't digest cellulose. The result of this is usually confused looks because they have no idea what that is.

that's easy... because our appendix is non-functional

someone who has studied anatomy could provide a more complete reason or argue that the appendix is minimally functional, but to an ignorant layman like myself, this makes the most sense

It's also fun to ask why are our eyes positioned for depth perception like predatory animals like the Cat, Dog, hawk, etc. Not positioned like a prey (aka a strictly vegetarian animal) like the Cow or deer.

Please don't ever post anything about Vegan (dare I say it) Bacon!

After reading the soap making thread on HBT I got curious and searched Etsy (online flea market basically) for bacon soap. The only ones I can find were vegan bacon soaps, none actually made with lard.

Does not compute in my tiny brain.

Speaking of fat I just threw out my jug of fry oil. RIP Wesson Corn Oil jug, you saw me through countless batches of fries and fried chicken gizzards.

Actually... can you use old fry oil to make soap? Talk about a green idea!

Speaking of fat I just threw out my jug of fry oil. RIP Wesson Corn Oil jug, you saw me through countless batches of fries and fried chicken gizzards.

Actually... can you use old fry oil to make soap? Talk about a green idea!

Why, yes, you can! That's how all the big boys do it...Dial, etc.

Oh, and BTW, if you notice, it doesn't actually say "soap" on a bar of Dial. It is called a Dial "bar". That's because, in order to be called "soap", there are some specific processes and ingredients that are and are not allowed. The big producers don't find it cost effective and don't do it. So most solid soaps (those not sold by hippies at farmers markets, that is) are made of recycled veggie oils from fast food. You are scrubbing your face with old remnants of McNuggets.

--How's that for a visual, Creams? :ban:

Why, yes, you can! That's how all the big boys do it...Dial, etc.

Oh, and BTW, if you notice, it doesn't actually say "soap" on a bar of Dial. It is called a Dial "bar". That's because, in order to be called "soap", there are some specific processes and ingredients that are and are not allowed. The big producers don't find it cost effective and don't do it. So most solid soaps (those not sold by hippies at farmers markets, that is) are made of recycled veggie oils from fast food. You are scrubbing your face with old remnants of McNuggets.

--How's that for a visual, Creams? :ban:

Pfft. That's nothing. And frankly, not that gross either.

Try reading up on Castoreum:

Wikipedia said:
Castoreum (pronunciation: /kæsˈtɔriəm/) is the exudate from the castor sacs of the mature North American Beaver (Castor canadensis) and the European Beaver (Castor fiber). Within the zoological realm, castoreum is the yellowish secretion of the castor sac in combination with the beaver's urine, used during scent marking of territory.[1][2] Both male and female beavers possess a pair of castor sacs and a pair of anal glands located in two cavities under the skin between the pelvis and the base of the tail.[3] The castor sacs are not true glands (endocrine or exocrine) on a cellular level, hence references to these structures as preputial glands or castor glands are misnomers.[4]

Today, it is used as a tincture in some perfumes[5] and as a food additive.

Wikipedia said:
Food use
In the United States, castoreum as a food additive is considered by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be generally recognized as safe,[11] often referenced simply as a "natural flavoring" in products' lists of ingredients.

Still enjoy raspberry flavoring?

I was reading the ingredients on a spice blend I was using tonight. in the ingredients it said natural flavoring. I thought " natural what flavoring?"

thanks.

This Guy

8988852_448x252.jpg

Back