Pile of 'stuff' after cold crashing. A LOT more than just yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Nyholm

Reaction score
I just finished fermenting my first cider and re-racked onto campden tablets on monday night. Tuesday, i put it into the fridge at about 38* to cold crash and try to clear it up a bit. I pulled it out today and there is a pretty large pile of 'stuff' on the bottom in a cone shape. When i cold crash beer, i may get a little more sediment, but not a 2" high pile like this. Is this normal for cider? I haven't tasted it or anything and am hoping that nothing came out of the cider that would flavor it. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Dennis

854429_orig.jpg

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it seems fine. If the cider wasn't clear when you chilled it, some of the pectins could be responsible for much of the sediment. It's weird it's in a cone- I usualy get 1/4" thick sediment all over instead of in a cone, but it's nothing to worry about.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it seems fine. If the cider wasn't clear when you chilled it, some of the pectins could be responsible for much of the sediment. It's weird it's in a cone- I usualy get 1/4" thick sediment all over instead of in a cone, but it's nothing to worry about.
Kind of made the assumption that it was nothing to worry about, but figured id ask the pros first :)

Did you happen to "swirl" the container at any point?

No swirling, I'm thinking it may have something to do with the shape of the carboy. It is square and has some angled parts that would make things go toward the center i would think.

Is it a 3 gallon Better Bottle? Mine does the same thing because of the raise in the plastic on the bottom center.

Not for nothing, but could it just be from the plastic bottle itself? Heres a pic of an empty juice bottle I use.

cone2.jpg

D_Nyholm said:
It is square and has some angled parts that would make things go toward the center i would think.

That's my thought. The angled sides direct the sediment toward the center. Never seen that though. The color of the sediment looks right. Was this a super filtered Tree Top sort of juice or a more natural cider type?

Is it a 3 gallon Better Bottle? Mine does the same thing because of the raise in the plastic on the bottom center.

This has to be it. I just looked at it closer and the bottle is raised. Just like the pic above with the raised center. Nice job holmes :)

Kirkland brand apple juice is what i used.

Back