BYO Weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
The Feb 2012 issue of BYO had this recipe which I plugged into Beersmith with readily obtainable grains, my equipment, efficiency, and some slight rounding off of figures and came up with this. The questions are: Does this look OK and what, other than BYO's description, might this beer really taste like?

Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.97 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Volume 7.28 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Final Vollume: 6.00 gal

Ingredients
2 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
10 lbs 11 oz Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) 48.5 %
5 lbs 6 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 24.2 %
2 lbs 11 oz Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM) Grain 12.1 %
9 oz Caramel Munich 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
9 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
4.25oz Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.2 %
2.5 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 23.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) with starter

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.082 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.5 %
Bitterness: 23.8 IBUs Est Color: 21.9 SRM

Mash Profile
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Mash temp 152.0 F 60 min

I would say it looks great. I'm sure BYO's descriptions are quite accurate the only that I might suggest looking at to change a flavor profile is your pitch rate and ferment temp.
For my tastes I would ferment cool and pitch heavy, keeping they banana/clove down, but that's just me.
Best of luck.

I'm doing this same recipe open ferment for the first 3 or 4 days (then racking into a carboy) to try and ramp up the banana and clove funk. CO2 and krausen should protect it from bacteria and wild yeast during active ferment.

I would kinda like to suppress the clove some. I would rather see the fruity side of this than the spicy. Is that possible? Not really looking for pronounced banana either. Do you lose both the clove and banana when you ferment cool?

WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
This yeast is used to produce the Oregon style American Hefeweizen. Unlike WLP300, this yeast produces a very slight amount of the banana and clove notes. It produces some sulfur, but is otherwise a clean fermenting yeast, which does not flocculate well, producing a cloudy beer.

Gelatin, cold crash or filtering might do the trick. I'd think you could get what you want from the other yeast but it would be a fine dance at just the right temperature and pitching rate. Sorry to say I can't help as I wouldn't know what that was with that yeast.

Back