Fermentation control - Heating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Hi folks, i have a mashmaster fridgemate temp controller unit hooked up to my chest freezer.

The ambient temp in my basement right now is probably 10-12C. I like to heat up my freezer to 18C.

I was thinking of putting a 40W bulb in there and just letting the fridgemate and compressor keep the temp stable?

Thoughts?

Thanks i probably wouldn't of thought about that. :mug:

That's debatable. I think most people do it to be overly cautious, but I've never seen anything that proves a regular light bulb causes skunking. The sun yes, fluorescent, probably, incandescent? I dont think so but it wouldnt hurt to be safe.

Just an update: Plugging the fridgemate in the freezer didn't work very well. The compressor would cut out when it was suppose to - in this case 19C but the temp would go down has low has 14C.

So i decided to set the unit to the heating function and plugged the light bulb to the fridgemate. Now the temp is pretty well rock solid at 18-19C.

I guess since the ambient temp is around 12C i just needed to use a heat source.

Back