Beer Resilience...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bweatherly

Reaction score
So I put a six pack of my bottled homebrew in my car to take to a friend (had already sat for 2 weeks in my house to carbonate), and I forgot about it and left it there for 2 weeks in the back seat of my car. The weather has been really cold somedays, and pretty warm others (i'm from MS). I was wondering how the temp might have affected it. Could I still give it to him? I don't want him to have his first sample of my homebrew and hate it though haha.

Probably fine. The warm temp probably helped it finish carbonating completely, and the cold temp might have helped some things drop out. The temp fluctuation does increase oxygen transfer in and out of the bottle, but over just two weeks it probably isn't a big deal. Temp fluctuation is like turbo-conditioning, although usually you would want smaller temp swings than you have. Can't you just taste one? I'm doubtful it would be messed up.

It will be fine...my coworker left an IPA I gave him in his car during the summer for a month and a half!!! To make it worse, it sat in his center console! And as you know, a sealed car just incubates anything within it, especially in the summer. I'm thinking it sat in 90-100 degree temps for hours throughout the day. He finally drank it and said it was one of his favorite beers ever lol.

Back