Do I have to do 2.5 gallons for extracts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
Just curious if the kits are built specifically for 2.5 gallons of water or can I boil 5-6 gallons to avoid topping off if I have the ability? If so what is the advantage/disadvantage?

Thanks

Just curious if the kits are built specifically for 2.5 gallons of water or can I boil 5-6 gallons to avoid topping off if I have the ability? If so what is the advantage/disadvantage?

Thanks

Advantages: You get better hop utilization.

Disadvantages: Takes a lot longer to cool.

Another advantage of larger boils is that lighter color beers come out closer to their target color (less carmelizaton of the wort)

I hear that the beer turns out better....Thats just what I hear. However after hearing that I now have a keggle and a wort chiller sitting ready for my second batch this weekend.

^ Sounds like you've answered your question. Or more accurately, are about to.

Add in a 10g cooler with a drain system and/or false bottom (buildable for less than $50) and you can go all-grain.

^ Sounds like you've answered your question. Or more accurately, are about to.

Add in a 10g cooler with a drain system and/or false bottom (buildable for less than $50) and you can go all-grain.

I plan to eventually just want to get a few of the mini mash extracts under my belt first.

The only thing you want to watch out for is if the recipe calls for using less than 5 gallons, your hop utilization will be off if you boil more (or less) than what the recipe calls for.

Back