boiling tap water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you mean by the deal?

It kills any bacteria that may be in the water and also helps to get rid of Chlorine that is in the water.

You can boil it for several reasons:

- Precipitate the disolved solids if your water is too hard, so you can later modify it by adding minerals depending on what beer you want to brew (some say this is pointless, but depending on how strictly you want to follow a recipe to brew a Pilsner, which normally has low disolved solids)

- Remove chlorine (like Brewjunky said)

- Kill bacteria (like Brewjunky said)

I don't trust my local municipality to provide consistant, "good" water. They sometimes take it from a local lake rather than the mountains, and it will taste "brackish", it also contains varying amounts of chlorine (more for lake water, less for mountain water). I also live in a 600 year old house, so lord knows what all is growing in the pipes or in the water mains.

So, I boil my water prior to fermenting (I am currently doing extract brewing, so I put cold, disinfected water into the fermenter to dilute the high-gravity extract wort).

Cheers,
Awfers

If it is a concern, buy a cheap 5 gallon or larger vessel and buy it at walmart. It is like $.35 a gallon for RO. I usually let my tap water sit out overnight and then dilute it with RO. (50/50).

If it is a concern, buy a cheap 5 gallon or larger vessel and buy it at walmart. It is like $.35 a gallon for RO. I usually let my tap water sit out overnight and then dilute it with RO. (50/50).

:off:come on, even though the vessel itself is probably made in China you can't find a local place to buy it?
-ander

Wow do you live in Rome or something didn't realize they had plumming that long ago... J/K :)

I think it's awesome how much the human population has evolved over a couple hundred years. (yeah i know Rome existed beyond 600 years ago for anyone tryin to jump me)

Why do you let your tap water sit over night. What does this do?

If the chlorine used to sanitize the water by the municipality is the gas form, it will simply evaporate out of the water..

An old NYC trick : Take a old plastic milk jug, fill it with tap water, let it sit with the cap off overnight in the fridge. The next morning, good tasting water without the chlorine/bleach smell and taste.

Back