Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the recipe, turned out great!

1453410_731664940733_1050441739_n.jpg

Bottled the beer this weekend. Tasted awesome, but it was more brown than red. Look forward to trying it in a few weeks!

Got together with two other brewers a few weekends ago and we all brewed this recipe at the same time.

I used a Cajun injector BIAB method, another a redneck Turkey fryer and the third a HERMS method.

Going to get together again to compare results.

Otherwise, mine is still going but heavily malty and a beautiful deep, amber color.

Its been fermenting 14 days primary and three days secondary and my gravity is 1.03. And has been for three days I'm getting worried I might have a stuck fermentation. I stired the bottom last night and shook up the fermented to get things started. I hope that works.

Its been fermenting 14 days primary and three days secondary and my gravity is 1.03. And has been for three days I'm getting worried I might have a stuck fermentation. I stired the bottom last night and shook up the fermented to get things started. I hope that works.

like tim said... what temp are you fermenting at. did you use a starter? what yeast did you use? what temp did you mash at? did giving it a shake help?

if shaking failed and raising the temp a degree or two doesn't help. there's always beano and fresh yeast.

The 1st batch I screwed up has been bottled about 3 weeks. It's settled down a bit to be drinkable, but not by much. :)
Made 2nd batch last night. Mashed at 156 and used 12 oz. honey. OG is 1.058. Really looking forward to this one!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388185502.418181.jpg

Whoot!

First batch I thought was a goner!
The more it ages, the better it gets. Still.... A bit too much honey. (Accidentally added 24 oz. at flameout)
The second batch should be heaven.

has anyone tried a different hop than crystal for the first wort hop?

I know it changes the recipe but I don't have crystal hops. I was thinking of substituting willamette or ek goldings.

I know it changes the recipe but I don't have crystal hops. I was thinking of substituting willamette or ek goldings.

used Hallertauer and its near the same

using any similar hops works... use what you have available and you'll still end up with a great beer. this recipe is very forgiving

i just cracked my first bottle after only being in bottle for a week. this is one hell of a beer.. thanks for the reciepe.

I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Ok, over the last few nights, I have read all the posts in this thread. This will be my first all-grain brew, and I will be doing BIAB. I can't wait to see how this turns out, thank you for the recipe and the confidence of trying my first all grain! I will post pictures when I have them. :mug:

Ok, over the last few nights, I have read all the posts in this thread. This will be my first all-grain brew, and I will be doing BIAB. I can't wait to see how this turns out, thank you for the recipe and the confidence of trying my first all grain! I will post pictures when I have them. :mug:

that was a lot of reading you did! Once you do a couple BIAB beers you'll ask yourself, Why did I wait so long to switch to AG.. :)

I have a question to all who have purchased this recipe from Brewmaster's Warehouse, do they offer the option to mill your grains for you? I don't have a mill at home, and it would be nice if that was done for me already. I know that other online retailers I have purchased from will mill the grains for you ahead of time (i.e. Austin Homebrew, and others).

Just put in the ingredients into their "Brew-Builder" and holy crap, it it a lot cheaper than buying an extract kit! I'm liking this all-grain thing already!

I have a question to all who have purchased this recipe from Brewmaster's Warehouse, do they offer the option to mill your grains for you? I don't have a mill at home, and it would be nice if that was done for me already. I know that other online retailers I have purchased from will mill the grains for you ahead of time (i.e. Austin Homebrew, and others).

Just put in the ingredients into their "Brew-Builder" and holy crap, it it a lot cheaper than buying an extract kit! I'm liking this all-grain thing already!

yes they'll crush the grains for you. In fact, unless you tell them NOT to crush them they'll crush the grains by default.

Curious about the lack of roasted grain. Do you still find that the aroma and flavor are still in style?? I know bjcp mentions roasted a couple times and irish reds have that roasted finish...

I only ask because thinking of brewing this up for st pats enjoyment as well as turn some in to competition..
also mystic the link for your scoresheet seems like it is down, what was the feedback from the judges?

looks like a great brew

Curious about the lack of roasted grain. Do you still find that the aroma and flavor are still in style?? I know bjcp mentions roasted a couple times and irish reds have that roasted finish...

I only ask because thinking of brewing this up for st pats enjoyment as well as turn some in to competition..
also mystic the link for your scoresheet seems like it is down, what was the feedback from the judges?

looks like a great brew

yeah the website I was hosting them at is no longer around. but the feedback from the judges were all positive. one even went as far as saying a flawless example of the style. as far as the roasted finish, brew it using the ingredients listed (brewmasterswharehouse.com carries them all) , you'll find that it's there.

So I went shopping for my grain bill to make this yesterday and a few things happened. They didn't have Caraaroma...bummer. So I grabbed some Caramunich to sub for it. So I proceeded to go ahead and mill all my grain. When I got home I realized I milled the full pound of Melanoidin in and the Caramunich got halfed. Ugh. So I plugged it all back into Brewer's friend and realized that I was going to suffer a color loss as well as probably some of the malty flavor since Caraaroma is big malty and the Caramunich less so. So my plan is to take 2 ounces of the Black barley I have in home stock and add it in and this brings it back into the right SRM. What do you think Mysticmead? With the recipe like I have it below do you think it will suffer to much or will I perhaps have a happy accident?

Title: Raging Irish Red

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Irish Red Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.25 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.040
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.78%
IBU (tinseth): 26.34
SRM (morey): 13.35

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (71.9%)
1 lb - German - Melanoidin (9%)
8 oz - German - CaraMunich I (4.5%)
8 oz - German - CaraFoam (4.5%)
2 oz - American - Black Barley (1.1%)
1 lb - Honey (9%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Crystal, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 13.88
0.75 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 12.57

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 5.5 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 2 gal, Dunk Sparge

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1 each - Yeast Fuel, Time: 10 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 73 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2014-01-16 14:02 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2014-01-16 14:02 UTC

So I went shopping for my grain bill to make this yesterday and a few things happened. They didn't have Caraaroma...bummer. So I grabbed some Caramunich to sub for it

crystal 120 (or 130) is a close substitute for caraaroma. Not sure how the black barley is going to change the flavor profile as I've never used it. The recipe you have is going to be completely different from what mine is but I'm sure it'll still turn out to be a great beer.

Ready to brew... Got lucky that my lhbs had caraaroma !

I've read people being happy with this one relatively quickly grain to glass. However I'm wondering how it ages... Does it improve with some extra time?

crystal 120 (or 130) is a close substitute for caraaroma. Not sure how the black barley is going to change the flavor profile as I've never used it. The recipe you have is going to be completely different from what mine is but I'm sure it'll still turn out to be a great beer.

I tried getting crystal 120 but they were out of that too. I'll be sure to report back and let you know how this ended up.

Ready to brew... Got lucky that my lhbs had caraaroma !

I've read people being happy with this one relatively quickly grain to glass. However I'm wondering how it ages... Does it improve with some extra time?

since its a darker red it ages pretty good. I've let a 6 pack or 2 sit in the fridge for several months (pseudo lagering) and the result was a crystal clear clean Irish red.

This is going to be my next boil--ordered enough grain for two batches off the original recipe--I couldn't find it listed on the Brewmasters recipe page but I was impressed with how easy that site is to navigate and make up an order--had a lot of friends and both sons beggin me to do an Irish Red so plan on having a couple kegs ready for March hope the weather is nice you never know about St. Paddy's day in Michigan

I've done a bunch of Extract Brews but I finally made the transition to All grain. My first extract was an Irish Red so I figured it would make sense that first All Grain was an Irish Red. For my first attempt i'm hoping/thinking this is going to turn out well. ..We'll see in amount a month and a half !

I've done a bunch of Extract Brews but I finally made the transition to All grain. My first extract was an Irish Red so I figured it would make sense that first All Grain was an Irish Red. For my first attempt i'm hoping/thinking this is going to turn out well. ..We'll see in amount a month and a half !

let me know how it goes! (this was my first extract as well as first AG beer... AG was better :))

Question for you Mystic, this being my first AG (BIAB) I've never worried about my water. With my past extract batches I've used Poland Spring gallon jugs of water. Is there anything I'd need to do to treat it? If so, did you go for a specific water profile?

Question for you Mystic, this being my first AG (BIAB) I've never worried about my water. With my past extract batches I've used Poland Spring gallon jugs of water. Is there anything I'd need to do to treat it? If so, did you go for a specific water profile?

I used my well water. however there have been times (after prolonged heavy rain) that the well got muddied and I used spring water from the store. the beer turned out great.

Latest posts

Back