Testing for leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matc

Reaction score
So I bought my kegging system and I did a test this week. I plugged everything and set the pressure to 20 psi. I then fully turned off the main valve on the co2 tank. The pressure dropped to 17 psi. It stayed at 17 psi for 2-3 days but today, the gauge reads 16 psi. Is 1 psi that much of a deal for a leak ? I sprayed everything with soapy water but with no results.

Have you tried filling the keg with water, then pressurizing it? You might be able to find it that way depending on where the leak is by tipping the keg. May not be a problem now, but they have a way of getting worse not better.

So I bought my kegging system and I did a test this week. I plugged everything and set the pressure to 20 psi. I then fully turned off the main valve on the co2 tank. The pressure dropped to 17 psi. It stayed at 17 psi for 2-3 days but today, the gauge reads 16 psi. Is 1 psi that much of a deal for a leak ? I sprayed everything with soapy water but with no results.

That would be one PSI out of the gas trapped in your system which is likely only a couple of grams. At this rate you will lose the other 16PSI in 48 days. I am not good at math but at this rate a 5 pound tank will be empty in 10,896 Days!

Wow, now that's a leak! thought about changing some seals? gotta be cheaper than filling your tank....

I think it's the regulator, but I do have 5 plastic tees in the line without hose clamps and a valve split off the regulator that doesn't connect to anything, also 4 kegs.

I think it's the regulator, but I do have 5 plastic tees in the line without hose clamps and a valve split off the regulator that doesn't connect to anything, also 4 kegs.

Yep, plenty of "possible" culprits in any system, especially when they get a little age on em. Just curious why you don't clamp you're lines? Could see it possibly working out at serving pressures, but while carbonating seems they would leak like the proverbial screen door on a submarine.

Yep, plenty of "possible" culprits in any system, especially when they get a little age on em. Just curious why you don't clamp you're lines? Could see it possibly working out at serving pressures, but while carbonating seems they would leak like the proverbial screen door on a submarine.

They probably don't leak as much as you think. In fact a hose-clamp might actually induce a leak as I doubt that the pressure applied is uniform round. Probably not a problem with softer hoses. The main reason for not having them on though was expense. The initial expense of setting up kegging is huge and hose clamps are almost a buck a piece! and you use 3 per tee plus 2 per keg plus tees costing a few bucks each you start feeling robbed, especially if your thinking that money could just go towards a manifold. I'd go after it with soapy water, but I am tearing that setup down soon to move the kegs indoors for the winter. Plus I just bought a new regulator but have been force carbing kegs for the winter stash for a few weeks straight now, so maybe the leak is gone with the new regulator just haven't around to checking. I've gotten like 5 kegs carbed so far with the needle hovering just above the "order gas" part of the gauge so no major losses.

They probably don't leak as much as you think. In fact a hose-clamp might actually induce a leak as I doubt that the pressure applied is uniform round. Probably not a problem with softer hoses. The main reason for not having them on though was expense. The initial expense of setting up kegging is huge and hose clamps are almost a buck a piece! and you use 3 per tee plus 2 per keg plus tees costing a few bucks each you start feeling robbed, especially if your thinking that money could just go towards a manifold. I'd go after it with soapy water, but I am tearing that setup down soon to move the kegs indoors for the winter. Plus I just bought a new regulator but have been force carbing kegs for the winter stash for a few weeks straight now, so maybe the leak is gone with the new regulator just haven't around to checking. I've gotten like 5 kegs carbed so far with the needle hovering just above the "order gas" part of the gauge so no major losses.

Don't fix whats not broken as they say!
For the record however, using the clamps would absolutely be less prone to leaks. If you ever find yourself wanting to use them, feel free to use zinc plated (standard) hose clamps for these connections. Stainless steel clamps are nice, but not a requirement for your gas connections. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, you can come up with enough clamps for $5 to keep your hoses secure till the cows come home.

Lol i have never seen someone ever say they wont use hose clamps because of cost...to be slowly blowing out 45+ dollars worth of gas because of $3 of hose clamps seems a bit absurd. Im all for penny pinching, but you probably have 200-500 dollars invested in your kegging system...go spend the extra $5 and secure your hoses properly.

Go to a car shop like Napa or something, or even a Home Depot and buy hose clamps for like 15-20 cents each. Those types of things brew shops mark up a lot.

Back