Nottingham yeast - hydrate or not ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grimzella said:
your too easy. don't you know.. this is why we have over 12 pages of argument. its fun. and your funny. :)

YOUR posts and horrible grammar suggest that YOU'RE ignorant. But hey, it's all in fun.

Unicellular reproduction is a bit easier to study and experiment with than purely theoretical universal origin astrophysics. So I would say this is a poor analogy, to put it mildly.

This is a basic, well established concept that isn't up for debate. It's mind boggling how difficult it is for some people to accept it.

nerd!

grimzella said:
now now g-string. we are talking about yeast here. no need to take shots at someones disability :)

Besides having difficulty with written English, your only disability seems to be that you bring nothing of substance to the table.

Let's hear your insight into pitching dehydrated yeast into high density wort.

i wouldn't pitch dry yeast into HDW. i use WLP and would make a 1 gallon starter for all my High Gravity brews! :)

I'm decided. I no longer believe in the science of rehydrating dry yeast, just to piss off left-brainers who can't FRDWHAHB.

All this has me really concerned, since I almost always use Nottingham.

How about this to get that cell count up there..?

After rehydrating the packet I will make a 5 gallon starter with it.
Into the starter I will slowly stir about 7 - 8 pounds of prehopped LME.
It should be done fermenting before I put on the airlock and I could bottle the next day.:p

bosco

grimstuff said:
I'm decided. I no longer believe in the science of rehydrating dry yeast, just to piss off left-brainers who can't FRDWHAHB.

RDWHAHB is fine if you're just starting out in the hobby.

It's silly and counter-productive to one's advancement as a brewer once you get a bit of a clue as to what you're doing.

RDWHAHB is fine if you're just starting out in the hobby.

It's silly and counter-productive to one's advancement as a brewer once you get a bit of a clue as to what you're doing.

There's a difference between developing your craft and rabidly taking your last stand on an internet thread about dry yeast hydration and getting all upset just because some people don't give as much of a s*** as you do.

There's a difference between developing your craft and rabidly taking your last stand on an internet thread about dry yeast hydration and getting all upset just because some people don't give as much of a s*** as you do.

The people that don't care don't post asking for advice. The people that do might be interested in the science behind dry yeast hydration. If you don't care, stay out of the argument.

The people that don't care don't post asking for advice. The people that do might be interested in the science behind dry yeast hydration. If you don't care, stay out of the argument.

I never disputed the science. I'm only interested in irritating tight-assed individuals who have no concept of proportion. If you read the first reply to this thread (mine), my comment was that since so many people do it both ways, and since all the beer from all the people who don't rehydrate their yeast doesn't suck, it can be assumed that in the grand scheme of things, among all the different things that can affect your beer, it probably doesn't matter that much. Have you ever heard a judge taste a beer, spit it out and say "Gyah! Clearly, the brewer did NOT rehydrate his yeast!"

"Originally Posted by grimstuff

The fact that huge numbers of people either pitch rehydrated yeast or pitch straight from the pouch indicates it probably doesn't make much difference."

This was the first response to the question posed by the OP.

Great answer, It DOESN'T really matter that much at all.

"Originally Posted by grimstuff

There's a difference between developing your craft and rabidly taking your last stand on an internet thread about dry yeast hydration and getting all upset just because some people don't give as much of a s*** as you do."

I agree.:mug:

bosco

I'm only interested in irritating tight-assed individuals who have no concept of proportion.

Sounds like you're only here to troll the thread and not make any positive contribution.

Once again, those who cannot argue the science intelligently will fall back on small-minded tactics. It all fits together if you think about it. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're only here to troll the thread and not make any positive contribution.

Once again, those who cannot argue the science intelligently will fall back on small-minded tactics. It all fits together if you think about it. :rolleyes:

Small-Minded Troll. That's a great name for a beer!!! Seriously though, I guess it's beyond my ability to "argue the science intelligently" with such an astute person as yourself, despite your inability to not take yourself too seriously or recognize when others are using tongue-in-cheek.

So from here on out, I'm just gonna stick to Dumb Old Reason and steer far clear of all the "intelligent science" of my betters.

wow! this thread just seems to be the ever ready battery thread...just goes on & on & on.........
guess i need to comment some more.

myself i enjoy reading articles about brewing but too technical and it loses me. i like to get some knowledge and then hands-on. the deeper science interest me to a point, too techie then i doze....:(
been brewing ..since the late 90's and am sorta lazy, which has contributed to my stall out as an extract grain brewer for so many years.( ramping up for BIAB)
my evolution in the hobby went from dry yeast sprinkled into the caboy, then re-hydrated; fermented at room temps, then trying to cool it down by water soaked towels. liquid yeast.... controlled temps & !...now i'm back to dry yeast! i still re-hydrate dry yeast....why? I use starters of 2 qts and when i rehydrate the starter seems to propigate sooner. the best part i have very early fermenation usually with in 15-30 minutes after pitching. learning about adding oxygen helped it along too. i do feel that 5-7 minutes of shaking the carboy is almost as good. the oxygen bottle & stone just helps to cut labor & time. in conclusion, rehydrate yeast , starter , oxygen and controlled temps has proven to work for me....i'm no scientist or engineer i just do what works for me.....now if i could just get that DAMN DIY stir plate to work!!...:(;)

GD51:mug:

Back