Taking a bottle spigot apart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrguy

Reaction score
Picked up a few of these spigots from someone getting out of brewing. Any way to take these apart for a good soak? I tried just pulling it apart but don't know if it will just break? Any tricks?

Looks kind of like this red one but is clear. I pulled like heck to take it apart but it's not budging.

image.jpg

image-1572184800.jpg

GilSwillBasementBrews said:
I just unscrew the nut in the inside of bucket to remove from the bucket and pull the stem out if the fitting on the outside and toss them in a bucket with some oxyclean.

Lol. I don't mean removing from the bucket, mean taking the spigot apart. It seems there is some gunk in between the plastic that is not coming off with a soak in cleaner but I'm wondering if I can pull this part. I may just toss it if they are not made to come apart.

There was a thread on this topic a few weeks ago in the Bottling section. I don't remember what the topic was exactly but if you search around that section you might be able to find it.

I'd look for you but I need to go wash some bottles.......

RM-MN said:
Put it in some hot!! water for a few minutes and it should pull apart.

Awesome that worked. Boiled some water, dropped it in for 10 - 15 seconds and it pulled apart. Thanks

I've not ever bothered with heating it. I just hold the white part and press the nozzle against the edge of a counter or on the divider between the two kitchen sink basins.

zeg said:
I've not ever bothered with heating it. I just hold the white part and press the nozzle against the edge of a counter or on the divider between the two kitchen sink basins.

zeg, hopefully that works from now on. They definitely had some funk in there. Maybe that was gluing them together and keeping the little farm growing..lol thx

RM-MN said:
The hot water helps when you reassemble it too.:fro:

RM I will keep that in mind. I left them in starsan since I popped them apart. I'll put them back together later tonight and keep that in mind if they don't want to snap back. Thanks for your help.

zeg, hopefully that works from now on. They definitely had some funk in there. Maybe that was gluing them together and keeping the little farm growing..lol thx

Heh, yeah. When I first faced sanitizing it, I worried that the disassemble/reassemble cycles would shorten the life of the spigot.

Then I realized it was $3. Avoiding even one infection would save 10x the cost of a new spigot in wasted materials.

Definitely want to sanitize every surface and in every crevice. I always wash and disassemble mine immediately after use, then soak it in sanitizer for an hour or two while I finish other cleanup. I don't put it back together until immediately before use. That avoids trapping moisture inside and encouraging a mold colony in case something contaminated the interior.

I've always just pushed it down on the counter to pop it out. I take mine apart every time I bottle. Good insurance against infection in the bottle and even if they start to leak a little over time, it's only a tiny bit compared to the amount I spill during the filling.

Latest posts

Back