Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
I never was a coffee drinker but at the age of 40 I've suddenly discovered coffee. This is like beer for the morning! Bitter, strong and so many different variations! Why didn't I start this sooner? And all the stuff you can get for it! Got a conical burr grinder now. Researching all the local roasters like I do the local microbreweries. Seriously. It's just like beer but you drink it in the morning.

You are for in a real treat. Great work picking up a burr grinder so quickly - that is the biggest difference one can make in their home coffee. The PNW is loaded with fantastic roasters. If you want a real treat, check out Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Coava, Water Avenue or George Howell to name a few. if you want a killer listing of roasters, check this out:

http://www.home-barista.com/coffees/list-of-our-favorite-roasters-t12125.html

Nearly every roaster on that list really nails it.

Cheers

You are for in a real treat. Great work picking up a burr grinder so quickly - that is the biggest difference one can make in their home coffee. The PNW is loaded with fantastic roasters. If you want a real treat, check out Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Coava, Water Avenue or George Howell to name a few. if you want a killer listing of roasters, check this out:

http://www.home-barista.com/coffees/list-of-our-favorite-roasters-t12125.html

Nearly every roaster on that list really nails it.

Cheers

Stumptown is awesome...

Look around, you'll find mom-and-pop-style roasters in places you'd never guess. The little nursery where we purchased last year's Christmas tree had a vacuum roaster out front (it smelled awesome, and was fun watching the beans circulate around). Inside they had a small case of light to dark roasted varieties they put together, and cooler yet was the HUGE bags of unroasted beans from different countries. Apparently they make big bank out of that little nursery just on the coffee alone... and it was awesome to chat with them about their 'hobby'.

Kind of like visiting ones LHBS...:)

I've been drinking coffee since I was like 16. Lol I drink it every morning. Not sure what I would do without it. Haha

Pricing is awesome for what appears to be top grade goods... might have to check this out for myself!

I brew with a French press, and grind the beans through a burr grinder ... I get a robust cup of Joe that can be enjoyed on its own (no creamer or sweetener). Yum

I picked up a bag of the dark roast sumatra for my mom last weekend and had some of it. It was fantastic. I don't put anything in my coffee, but I do sometimes get the flavored coffee. The added flavor is usually fairly subtle in the ones I've gotten.

I picked up a bag of the dark roast sumatra for my mom last weekend and had some of it. It was fantastic. I don't put anything in my coffee, but I do sometimes get the flavored coffee. The added flavor is usually fairly subtle in the ones I've gotten.

Sumatran coffees are known for their earthy to pungent flavors, low acidity and heavy body. See if you can find some Kenyan, Ethiopian (Yrgacheffe or Sidamo) or Guatemalan coffees - they will really open your eyes up (no pun intended lol). Amongst real coffee snoots - Kenyans are the real gems to be had. They have very high acidity and very complex flavors. Ethiopian coffees are usually dry processed and maintain a lot of soft fruity/chocolately flavors. Guatemalan coffees are known for their very clean cup with balanced acidity, body and sweetness.

Cheers

I'm really enjoying the programmable coffee maker. Finishes brewing right about the time I'm waking up. Smells fantastic.

If you get a chance try the "clover" machine at Starbucks. They only have them at certain locations. It is EPIC!!!

I work with a guy who does that. He just built a sun room and I told him he should start growing them in there so he'll be totally coffee self-reliant. :D

I'd been using my standard coffee maker for years and it finally croaked. I pulled out my French press and WOW! What a difference! The coffee out of the press is so different from the standard drip coffee and I wished I would have started using it a long time ago.

i agree but i have been a coffe drinker for some time.It is very good for you in moderation just like beer.Very valued and high in antioxitants.I would love to roast my own green beans,maybe someday. I usually grind my own, i have a french press i like to use time to time but i like drip too.I guess i found a coffee good enough that i find it fine using a drip maker.It hasnt really inspired me enough to pull out the french press every day because i have a specific coffee that is superb which im happy with just a coffee maker. Then again i dont think i have brewed this particular coffee in my french press yet.coffee in the morning and beer at night. I almost could live on them exclusivly.And practically do.

Roasting is a really fun hobby. It can be challenging to learn and master. Similar to brewing in ways. I have been at it for a couple years now myself. I don't buy a lot of pro roasted beans anymore.

image-12969944.jpg

Cheers

Oh man I am almost ashamed to show my whirly pop after seeing your setup. Nice.

That looks fantastic. My buddy at work uses the hot air popcorn popper method of roasting his own beans. It works, but with much smaller batches than that.

I'd been using my standard coffee maker for years and it finally croaked. I pulled out my French press and WOW! What a difference! The coffee out of the press is so different from the standard drip coffee and I wished I would have started using it a long time ago.

Welcome to the dark side.... :D

The only down side...cleaning the dang screen / press!!!

i have a french press i like to use time to time but i like drip too.It doesnt matter if you find one you really like.It hasnt really inspired me enough to pull out the french press every day because i have a specific coffee that is superb which im happy with just a coffee maker.

Most drip coffee makers are useless. French press less so, but still far from ideal. In the first instance the water is never hot enough (~205F) and in the second too many oils and particulates that are neither good for taste or mouthfeel come through yet it's very difficult to get complete extraction from the grind (which is extremely important and why one must have a burr grinder to get the most out of coffee). The pour-over is the single best way to get extraordinary coffee. I recommend a Chemex.
home_main_02.jpg

I was also not much of a coffee guy. I would go through phases where I had to have it every day for a month then none for three months, etc... On a recent overnight backpack/snowshoe trip a friend of mine pulled out an Aerobie coffee press and made some fantastic coffee. So good that I ordered one as soon as we got home. This is NOT your typical french press. There are no paticulates and very little to nothing in the way of oils. I now use it at home and backpacking for espresso, cappucino, latte and American coffee. Google it and you'll find some very good reviews from people in the coffee business. In fact, I like it so much that I wrote a letter to the company thanking them for the product. Very easy to use, super easy to clean and makes great coffee. Can't ask for much more!

Here's the site - http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

I ordered mine on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZD3QJC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0047BIWSK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1039HJ20T58X9DSNW91P

Last edited by a moderator:
you can really stabilize your results with a heat gun by switching your dog bowl out for a bread machine. I roasted with this kit for a whole year. It works amazing.

Here is a write up and pictoral of my heat gun/bread machine kit:

http://www.homeroasters.org/php/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2274

Cool, thanks for the info, jammin! I've heard of people using a bread machine. I actually have an extra one in the garage, but it has a non-stick lining. I'm guessing that probably won't work so well with the heat gun... Time to start looking on eBay, I guess.

Cool, thanks for the info, jammin! I've heard of people using a bread machine. I actually have an extra one in the garage, but it has a non-stick lining. I'm guessing that probably won't work so well with the heat gun... Time to start looking on eBay, I guess.

We use an old hot air popcorn popper: the West Bend Poppery II is the champ. There are usually a few on ebay and it works like a charm!

That's fine. We just reported you as spam so you can expect to be banned at any moment. ;)

Nah... Even though my grammar is often very poor and my spelling can be even worse I think both of them are much better than your average spammer.

With that said, if you send me a pm with all your personal and financial information I will share some information with you that will earn you millions! ;) :mug:

Nah... Even though my grammar is often very poor and my spelling can be even worse I think both of them are much better than your average spammer.

With that said, if you send me a pm with all your personal and financial information I will share some information with you that will earn you millions! ;) :mug:

Shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Check out Lucas Roasting Company ( http://www.lucasroasting.com/). He's a small-batch roaster and roasts to order. It's the best, freshest coffee I've ever had. I particularly love the Morning and House Blends, but the single origin coffee's are excellent as well.

I love beer... and now I love coffee...

I wonder if I could brew coffee... using beer instead of water... hmmmm...

I've been ordering my green beans from Sweet Maria's for 8-9 years and, though they aren't the least expensive, I feel they have a great selection and certainly are very knowledgeable folks. I too use a hot air popper outdoors 7-8 months out of the year and a indoors under a range hood in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's where my friend buys his beans, but he's thinking about trying out the place I get my coffee from. They sell green beans too.

Most drip coffee makers are useless. French press less so, but still far from ideal. In the first instance the water is never hot enough (~205F) and in the second too many oils and particulates that are neither good for taste or mouthfeel come through yet it's very difficult to get complete extraction from the grind (which is extremely important and why one must have a burr grinder to get the most out of coffee). The pour-over is the single best way to get extraordinary coffee. I recommend a Chemex.
home_main_02.jpg
+1000. Monday Through Friday I am too lazy so I grind at night and set my crappy mr. coffee maker to automatically start so I can pour it into my thermos as I run out the door. BUT on the WEEKENDS I treat myself. I heat my 12 oz of water in the microwave while I grind my beans and then pour over - using my thermapen from mashing to check temp of 205 :). It is absolutely amazing how the same coffee I drank during the week has soo much more flavor!

I'm really enjoying the programmable coffee maker. Finishes brewing right about the time I'm waking up. Smells fantastic.
Like I said above, try a pour over, you will be amazed :). You can buy single cups from BB&B for $3! http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=10182077&RN=831&

I also roast my own and am a fan of sweet maria's.
Used my popcorn popper for a couple of years but just got the Nesco roaster last week.

I also like the aeropress.

Mostly into Sumatrans and Kenyans now.

Back