Did I pitch enough yeast? Thin layer at the bottom of the cup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer last Sunday. The airlock was bubbling in the morning, but I keep having a nagging feeling that I screwed up the pitching of the yeast.

I rehydrated it, like "How to Brew" suggested, but after pouring the slurry into the wort, there was still a thin layer of slurry left at the bottom. I am concerned that too much yeast got left behind.

I think as long as you have bubbles in the airlock you should be fine, and fermentation is happening. I'd be surprised if enough yeast were left behind to cause a problem and once the yeast get going they multiply like crazy.

Don't stress about it but if you are, take a gravity reading. It's still only been 4 days and it should still be ferementing or at least cleaning up. If you take a gravity and it's still a bit high, put the lid back on and gently swirl the ferment to get the yeast back in suspension.

What was your OG?

My OG was 1.051. The recipe said it should be 1.049 so I feel that I am pretty close.

Since I am planning to ferment till next Sunday at least, I haven't bothered disturbing the wort, due to the risk of contamination. Maybe I'll take a reading on Sunday.

You have the right idea, take a reading on Sunday, but I'd still let it sit in primary for another week minimum. If you can keep it in there longer go for it, it'll only help with the clarity of your beer.

If you want to put it in secondary sometime next week if your gravity is staying the same, feel free.

It's a witbier, and it's my first brew. I won't mess with a secondary for at least a few more brews. I'd like to bottle next Sunday, so I may take a few reading in the days before to see of my gravity has stabilized.

Just a note for next time. Give the cup a swirl right before you pitch it. This should force most of it into solution and not leave as much behind. As for this brew.....sounds like you are good if you got bubbles.

Latest posts

Back