sediment in my bottle.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnson1985

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a bit of a problem. I currently have about 15 1 litre bottles of carbonated cider (used priming sugar) sitting in my garage ready to drink. They all have a small amount of sediment at the bottom.

When drinking a bottle, the first couple of glasses taste pretty good, however, as I pour it out, the sediment mixes up with the drink and gives it a sour/bitter taste. So half the bottle is good, the other half not so good.

Is there anything I can do to resolve the situation?

Maybe I could siphon off each bottle into another leaving the sediment behind? But that surely would lose the carbonation....

Any help would be great!

steve

I can't speak much about cider, but with beer I always try to pour with only one smooth pour, even if it is into two different glasses that are right next to eachother. If you want to pour 1 Liter clear and keep the sediment from mixing in, you might have to do the same.

I've heard that cold storage/cold crashing after they're carbed and conditioned, from 24 hrs to a week, can help the yeast fall out and compact in the bottom. If they sit long enough the "yeast cake" (yeast cupcake?) at the bottom can get pretty tight. This seems to work pretty well with 22oz bombers for me. This is with beer though so YMMV

ok cheers for the tips,...I think i might try to pour them into new bottles leaving the sediment behind, I wonder if that'd lose carbonation though....

this is common, even in cider (which i also make plenty). smooth pour it, but leave the sediment in the bottom. cider sediment doesn't add to the flavor at all

as stated above, pour the entire bottle in one smooth pour leaving the sediment behind. You might have to fill several glasses at a time, or a pitcher, but that technique will net you clear cider. When I pour 22 oz bombers of beer, I will put two glasses side by side...pour the first one, and then move immediately to the next one mid-pour. Works great and no sediment is mixed in.

The sediment in the bottle really does change the taste of the cider, and the problem is that as soon as I tilt the bottle to pour it starts mixing in with the cider. I think I'm going to leave it out in the garage for longer and hopefully the sediment will become more compact at the bottom so it doesn't move about as much....

Back