Trying to identify why I hated New Castle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
One of the main benefits I have gotten from homebrewing is being able to pick out the flavors I do/don't like in beers. I am very frustrated on why I can't figure this one out.

I had New Castle once back during spring. It was one of the few beers I absolutely hated and could not finish. I would try it again if presented the oppertunity, but I am afraid to buy a sixer of it.

Anyway when I tasted it the only way I know of to describe the flavor is "Tequilla-ish". I hoping some of you guys who are experienced New Castle drinkers could pick apart the flavors of the beer and help me identify what I tasted that turned me off about the beer.

I used to drink Newcastle a lot. Then I pick up a 12 pack of it that tasted like they added a spoonful of dirt to each bottle. The whole 12 pack was off.

Since then it took a few years for me to come back around to trying it and I enjoy it more than ever now.

How many times have you had it? Maybe you had an off batch as well.

I used to drink Newcastle a lot. Then I pick up a 12 pack of it that tasted like they added a spoonful of dirt to each bottle. The whole 12 pack was off.

Since then it took a few years for me to come back around to trying it and I enjoy it more than ever now.

How many times have you had it? Maybe you had an off batch as well.

That is part of my problem, I have had it only once, was traumatized and have been too scarred to ever purchase it on my own. I would gladly give it another taste is someone offered me some, but until then I am not going to purchase it.

What are some other english brown ales? I would like to set up a blind taste test between a few similar beers so my traumatic experiences do not bias my response.

Bad lines, overcarbed, skunked, dirty glasses, bar tender pouring for the wrong bottle, there's so many things that can ruin an otherwise good import. I don't believe in giving up on a beer until I've tried it from a few sources.

I don't like Newcastle either. There's some malty flavour that just doesn't appeal to me. Could be the yeast that they use.

I'd like to try a fresh pint in the UK, though. Who knows what happens in the hold of a freighter and sitting in a container in some port.

Maybe you bought an old 6/12 pack or got it thru some dirty lines. Regardless, if you want to figure out why you don't like it you will have to have it again.

The thing I don't like about it is the same thing I don't like about similar beers, there's just this.. like.. buttery sweet caramel flavor that just seems cloying to me. It's not even that I dislike sweet caramel flavors; I just hate it in this style. I taste the same sort of thing in Green King's Abbot Ale.

Not a big fan of Newcastle either. It has a malty taste to it that could best be described as "sugar." Tastes waaaaay to sweet for me.

I'd like to try a fresh pint in the UK, though. Who knows what happens in the hold of a freighter and sitting in a container in some port.

Last time I was there some kid (18) was trying to convince me it was better than drinking wife beater (aka stella, not sure why it's called that). To me it's like drinking soda beer.

New Castle is a stand by for me. It is cheap, available everywhere and a great all night drinking beer.

The only offensive (potentially) flavor is a note of diacytl (butter). It goes well with the beer but I could understand some people being put off by it. I have had some bad NC though. Not sure if it is handling or quality inconsistencies.

Aside from the butter, it is a pretty run of the mill good beer. It is like a BMC, but a different style. Great beer and exactly what they are after. Nothing special, but good in the right occassion.

I got a 6er (cans) a while back that was BAD! I still have 5 left. I may have to put some on ice and see if I can tell what the bad taste actually is.

I've noticed spotty quality with NC as well. I like it when it's good, but every now and again you'll get an off batch.

Riggwelter is a wonderful brown ale, perhaps my favorite. It's another UK import, but I've yet to have a bad bottle. Maybe I'm just lucky (knock on wood).

I like Newcastle on draft - the place I get it from is an Italian joint, and the sweetish/brown flavor goes great with the pungent spices, IMHO. I didn't like it much out of a bottle. The clear bottles don't do it any favors, I guess.

I too have noticed Newcastle varying between batches. In general I'm not a big fan - to me it tastes like what I imagine a dirty foot would taste like combined with a sort of unpleasing nutty flavor. Probably the diacetyl and malt profile.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I know I am not giving it a fair chance only trying it once out of a bottle. Hell I have only ordered beer once on tap since turning 21 in may and that was a $21 pitcher of dogfish head on $6 pitcher night haha.

I would like to give it another try, but seeing as I can't even afford buy any more ingredients right now, I choose my beer purchases wisey (usually PBR haha)

I've noticed spotty quality with NC as well. I like it when it's good, but every now and again you'll get an off batch.

Riggwelter is a wonderful brown ale, perhaps my favorite. It's another UK import, but I've yet to have a bad bottle. Maybe I'm just lucky (knock on wood).

Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep an eye out for Riggwelter

Last time I was there some kid (18) was trying to convince me it was better than drinking wife beater (aka stella, not sure why it's called that). To me it's like drinking soda beer.

When Stella came out in the UK, it was the only continental lager that didn't brew a special lower-ABV Uk version - like Heineken and Carlesberg did. So, when people started pounding it like it was a session, or standard, lager, an unpleasant name for it was born.

No go for me. I remember liking it in High School...not that I drank beer that young...;). But the last time I tried it a few years ago, it was cloyingly sweet and screamed diacetyl. I'll probably try it again, but that was awful.

New castle was my college goto (when money was good). I have had really bad newky straight out of the bottle at a bar once or twice. Then it was a mystery, but now I think it was old and overly light struck--clear bottles don't help. My friend at the time swore it reminded him of ear medicine, whatever that means. We ordered another and it was the same way. Never had a bad one since that bar.

I think if you take any beer and put it in a clear bottle and abuse it for a few years by temp or light, it'll taste like ass.

Yeah, I don't know why 'clear glass is clear' isn't the standard answer here. I got a sixer for the Schooner promo and am loving them. It's sweet but not overpoweringly so; I assume everyone got a bad batch (they have minikegs now, or so like five threads here tell me). That or everyone drinks too much Stone and has forgotten what a beer without too many IBUs is supposed to taste like.

FWIW, Riggwelter is a Yorkshire ale and New Castle is a Northern Brown ale. Two very different styles. Riggwelter is brewed by a craft brewery (Black Sheep Brewery) and is one of my favorite beers. Many more people have had Old Peculiar which is a more popular Yorkshire ale. Man they are good!

Back