five star

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjscguard32

Reaction score
When I was sanitizing my glass carboy I had some IO star sanitizer that is iodine based left over and a new Star san that is acid based. I spaced out and didn't realize that the IO star was a different product and mixed them both in the fermentor. I did rinse it out after before it came into contact with the beer but I am wondering how bad that it is that it was mixed? Are there any potential dangers in my beer now?

well if your referring to StarSan and Iodapher then no there is no harm to your beer. both are perfectly harmless to humans and yeast alike.

You will be fine. You did mention that you rinsed out the double solution. That's fine as well. But after that rinse, a resanitization with one or the other of the sanitizers is called for.

You will be ok in any case. Enjoy your beer.

Can Iodine be dangerous? This was the first batch of beer I've made and when I added the Iodine based five star to a bucket with a gallon of water to santize the equipment and I now realize I had added way to much for one gallon. I was dumping the thermomoter and stirring spoon in there after each time I used it but would give it a quick rinse after. I'm worried because I read that too much iodine can be hazardous. This was weeks ago and the beer is now bottled and tastes good and normal though. Would I taste the Iodine if there were dangerous amounts in it? Thanks.

Can Iodine be dangerous? Would I taste the Iodine if there were dangerous amounts in it?

only if your allergic. think about it they use it to sanitize (or at least they use to) your skin before surgery.

if you can't taste it then don't worry.

Back