Are these aged beers ok to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beelady

Reaction score
I am anxious to read some threads here, but I thought maybe someone here could help me with this - I have had some beer that have been set aside for nearly 8 years. Can I drink these or have they deteriorated by now? (None of these beers I am familiar with.)

They are imports that were in a gift box -

Tsingtao
Dos Equis XX Amber
San Miguel Lager
Tecete - cerveza
Samuel Smith - Taddy Porter
Peroni

Wish it was all some yummy stout. Ahhh well.

Thank you for any advice!

Try them all. I would think the Samuel Smith would be the only one that might have aged okay. You won't know till you've tried. This sounds like a good experiment in commercial beer preservation.

and thats the one I'll be trying first :) I'll put my thoughts after if anyone is interested.

Try them all. I would think the Samuel Smith would be the only one that might have aged okay. You won't know till you've tried. This sounds like a good experiment in commercial beer preservation.

I tried a year-aged taddy porter. Was pretty fail. Not very different from the original. But I will admit that I think Samuel Smith is one of the worst micro breweries I've ever had. All their brews taste like water.

I tried a year-aged taddy porter. Was pretty fail. Not very different from the original. But I will admit that I think Samuel Smith is one of the worst micro breweries I've ever had. All their brews taste like water.

I'll agree with that. I bought an oatmeal stout at the local Kroger and it was not even close to being good for the ridiculous price. I think it is still the most expensive thing they sell and it's only in four packs.

I opened a Mirror Pond pale ale that was "set aside" for about 3 years or so. It wasn't kept at cellar temp or anything. Exposed to all sorts of temperature swings, actually. Suffice it to say that it wasn't a good thing. I'm curious to know how yours fared and how they were stored.

Yup. Took a while to get the taste from my mouth :(

These were all stored out of the sun and in a cool cellar.

Dos Equis XX Amber - tasted ok but I'll never buy one by choice. Stunk like dust and not as tasteful as I would have thought. Looks were deceiving - nice color and a nice foamy top but too watery for my taste. Gave me a lil headache to boot.

Samuel Smith - Taddy Porter - watery is so accurate. Glad to read the comments here so I did not buy another to compare. Shame, seemed like it could have been good if not so thin.

Tonight I'll enjoy a Geary's and not so sure I am going to bother trying the others. Sorry I can't describe more than I have, no expert here, just an appreciater of beer, good beer.

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

Since nothing pathogenic can grow in beer, there's no worry needed about getting sick from them. All that can happen is that they may not have held up over time.

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

Since nothing pathogenic can grow in beer, there's no worry needed about getting sick from them. All that can happen is that they may not have held up over time.

+1 they won't "go bad" but they can still BE bad. :p

Were they all capped? I was always told that caps will eventually leak in air over time.. guess that's BS :) I keep a rotating stash of Victory beers in belgian bottles that are corked, and generally drink them at 3-4 years old, quite good around then :)

Latest posts

Back