2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the aphids are leaving as the hops are drying though

hopharvest2009 003.jpg

wondered why so many ladybugs when i was harvesting last night - this morning -aphids!!

These are the best pictures of aphids on cones that I've seen on the site! Make sure to keep these pics because of the volume of questions about the little buggers every year. I had a few on my Zues this year but three ladybugs transferred from a tree to the plant and they were not there the next day. I really haven't considered them a problem in my garden but these pics could help a lot of newer growers. :mug: to you!

My magnums are still producing. Everything else has called it quits but my magnums just keep on going. I've got maybe another 1/2 ounce (dried) that is sooo close to ready for picking. I think the only thing that will stop mighty magnum is the first frost.

Well I made a Coopers Draught kit and put 3 hop additions in and used some Amber DME. Wow, super tasty. Seems the mystery hops are great. I'll be making another one of these right away and transplanting some hops to my property to play with.

My 3 yo sweetie hand selecting some of Willie3's Fuggles to be used in the hopinator for the 1st annual NJHOPZ Brewfest.

IMG_1247.jpg

Me helping with the harvest

IMG_1231.jpg

Cascades
IMG_1251.jpg

yep - vacu sealing and freezing seems to have killed off any straglers that didn't leave:D
i don't mind a little protein with my beer

For future years you can try polyculture cropping with peas, beans, and other crops under the hops that will attract and keep lady bugs. You can also buy praying mantis pods that will hatch a ton of them and they eat bugs of all kinds! We have had bad Japanese Beetle invasions here and they eat the leaves but leave the cones alone, thankfully.

Here are some of my hops from this year. My trellis was built from 6"x6"x16' posts from a home depot that some guy special ordered and rejected them for some reason. Cost me 5 bucks each. :D Strung some galvanized wire with some earth anchors and boom! :p

L to R: Fuggle-chinook-centennial
3855025334_9fbf5cf333.jpg

Will my second year hops (no first year harvest) do well in a 7 gallon pot?

Will my second year hops (no first year harvest) do well in a 7 gallon pot?

That pot would be a good choice. No matter what you use, your hops will look much better this year than last. Remember to add some extra love to 'em and they will pay you back exponentially!

Our 2013 hopyard, in full bloom. I harvested, dried and vac packed 5 lbs. Probably left 20 or so still hanging. no time!!. I should have invited thirsty brewers to pick their own. Anybody near Middleborough MA?

hops.jpg

slbradley01 said:
Our 2013 hopyard, in full bloom. I harvested, dried and vac packed 5 lbs. Probably left 20 or so still hanging. no time!!. I should have invited thirsty brewers to pick their own. Anybody near Middleborough MA?

Very nice! That's a lot of work ahead of you...

hey,
i have read your post really you have done a great job and i wish you best of luck for more growth and please keep on posting the pics

Here is my first clippings. About 2 1/2 ounces of Cascades:

Hops_2009_crop_1.JPG

I actually don't expect too much more. This is first year growth. My EKG is not even coning yet.
Hey nice clip But what is this . Is this a fruit or vegetable ? I want to know about it .:ban:

Back