OOPS! Frozen Kegs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
We recently had some -10 deg F weather here. My kegerator is in an unheated, unattached garage. I dug through the snow today and tried to draw a beer. It seems that my kegs froze in the kegerator.

Will this effect my beer?

Uh, ya. You'll need to thaw the keg to pull a pint.

It won't affect the taste if you let it thaw iirc, but then again, it may as the alcohol may seperate from the rest of the liquid. If it do, then just swirl the keg, let settle and voila.

As long as the kegs didn't rupture, just thaw them out. If the kegs ruptured, saving the beer will be difficult.

My big concern is that you need to put on a snowsuit to go get a beer, I recommend replacing something in the house with the kegerator, like a coffee table, an end table, the stove, I dunno but trudging through the snow to pull a frozen beer does not sound like fun!

Did that myself once (though I just had the kegerator set too low). Just let it thaw out, might take at least a day or two at room temp. If you draw beer before it is completely thawed it will be very strong and heavy and then once thawed it will be watered down. So make sure to fully thaw before you start drinking. The beer should taste fine, the biggest problem is that the liquid expands as the beer freezes so you will need to make sure you didn't warp your lid or the stretch the lip around the lid. This will ruin your keg. If the beer thaws fine and your keg seems to seal okay, you should be in good shape.

Sux doesnt it max. i live in "the ice-box of the nation" i tried several things: i popped the switch out of the fridge so the light stays on all the time and added a 60 watt bulb, i then added a heat map inside, finally i wrapped a beer belt around my taps. I put a glass fo water to test how well the temp would hold and i had frozen water within 24 hors so i gave up . moved my beer from un-insulated grage to the house, keezer build starts tomorrow.

Back