Impatience?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterM

Reaction score
Okay please tell me if im being impatient on this one!

I started a batch of Hoegarden 3 weeks ago using Wyeast 3944 wit. Initial OG of 1.070. It was going great for the first four days then sort of slowed down a lot ( one bubble a minute ) . It then crawled the second week and was at 1.040 , a week later its at 1.032. I also made a yeast starter from the trub left over during secondary switch over. This was going ballistic in my starter vessle but doesnt seem have seem to made that much of an impact. My question is how long do I leave it before kegging?

I cant put it in my nice glass carboy so its in a decent plastic fermentation bin but i dont want oxygenation to become an issue. How much longer should I leave it before kegging and before it goes bad?! Oh yeah also I sort of want to drink it ! hahah! My Pilsner is going great on the upside after the advice on the forum, im amazed how that yeast ticks away at such low temperatures!

1070 seems like a really high OG for a Wit. Is your hydrometer perhaps not reading correctly? If it's off (for example) by 0.02, then you had a drop from 1050 to 1012, which would be just dandy.

Yes it is high for a wit but thats because I put a kg of brewing sugar in there, it was lying around and I couldnt help it! The yeast should be able to take it up to 7% easily tho I would have thought?

My irish beer yeast certainly had no problems with my Guiness clone taking it to around 7.5% after I put a fair amount of sugar in the boil. Its making for some excellent drinking :cross:

Having too much sugar around during the brew is probably a dangerous thing. What do you reckon then if i keg now will the beer be too sweet tasting ? To wait or not wait.... :mug:

Yes it is high for a wit but thats because I put a kg of brewing sugar in there, it was lying around and I couldnt help it! The yeast should be able to take it up to 7% easily tho I would have thought?

My irish beer yeast certainly had no problems with my Guiness clone taking it to around 7.5% after I put a fair amount of sugar in the boil. Its making for some excellent drinking :cross:

Having too much sugar around during the brew is probably a dangerous thing. What do you reckon then if i keg now will the beer be too sweet tasting ? To wait or not wait.... :mug:

Just steal a sample and see what it tastes like.

Back