Fresh figs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciminojr

Reaction score
Contemplating doing a fig stout with fresh figs from my fig tree. Has anyone used them before? Not sure if I should peel them or put them in with skins. Any thoughts?

I recently did a smoked robust porter with fresh figs from my tree (bottled this weekend), and it tasted great. I peeled the figs, caramelized them in a pan, pureed them, and then let the beer sit on them for a week in secondary.

note: I did have to use (sanitized) cheesecloth when bottling to extract the seeds from the beer.

Salud!

I recently did a smoked robust porter with fresh figs from my tree (bottled this weekend), and it tasted great. I peeled the figs, caramelized them in a pan, pureed them, and then let the beer sit on them for a week in secondary.

note: I did have to use (sanitized) cheesecloth when bottling to extract the seeds from the beer.

Salud!

how much did you use and was it a real strong flavor? any recommendations

While the porter tasted good, the figs didn't come out very much. Could have been one of 2 reasons: not enough figs or not the right type to create an effect in the beer. I would go with the latter. I used common figs, but would recommend Mission.

If I used figs again I would probably brew a lighter style so they come out more.

Salud!

Interesting. I had the same result with my fig porter. I did a ten gallon whole grain batch and added figs in the boil and the secondary. I had puréed about 90 figs from my tree and reduced them down in a pot prior to brew day. First time using figs so we weren't sure when to use them. I added half of the figs to the boil to bring up the sugar then added the rest in secondary. Final gravity is 1.012. I split the batch with the guy I brewed with... I bottled and he kegged. I tasted his tonight and it was good, but absolutely no hint of figs anywhere. I'm going to open a test bottle of mine tomorrow to see how they match up. Disappointed I have to wait until next September to try it again.

Latest posts

Back