Adding a Valve to a Porcelain Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
Has anyone added a valve to a porcelain brew kettle with success?

I have one that I have considered adding a valve to, but am considering the fact that the pot may rust over time, where the hole is drilled and porcelain coating removed. Who has done this before?

This is my thought at the moment, but still wondering if anyone has successfully done this without experiencing issues with rust.

While I have not done it, my thoughts are the porcelain is brittle, and will either chip off during drilling (leaving a not so round hole) or with crack when you try and tighten the valve down and the pot wall flexes.
If you don't mind scrapping the pot go for it, but I would think you will be buying another pot shortly if you do :D

Thanks for the input. I am definitely not looking to destroy one of my kettles yet. I do like a challenge though, and there is part of me that wants to know if it is possible. :)

It is possible to re-enamel the areas where the porcelain has cracked/broken/chipped off during the process. But I doubt it is worth the trouble and time for utilitarian vessels, knowing a SS kettle can be bought for reasonable $.

I don't have any experience drilling in that type of vessel, but I have considered having a pipe go down the outside of the kettle with to a kettle strainer on a 90 degree angle at the bottom of the kettle. That way you could siphon from the bottom of the brew kettle without having to drill holes in it.

Latest posts

Back