North Carolina Resource for Hop Testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
Received this the other day via email, not sure if they exclusively work with NC residents and businesses but I do know App State is trying to build a program in support of the state's growing wine and beer industry:

Hop Analysis
We also offer rapid analysis for hop growers as hop yards expand across NC. Critical harvest measurements are assessment of moisture content and alpha and beta acid contents. Details can be found on the website at http://wine.appstate.edu/lab.

Contact Lab Coordinator Mr. Rusty Kuhfeld with your sample submission questions ([email protected], 828-406-6014) or see http://wine.appstate.edu/lab for more information.

I have some Hallertau growing in my backyard. Oddly enough the Cascade never took but the noble hop did -- go figure.

We do have a latitude that will allow for growing, it won't be like it is up north but they will grow.

I have 2 Tettnang and 3 cascades that are going crazy, all first years. Just harvest 5.3 oz (dried) of hops from half of one of the tettnang plants..lol

Granted my soil is nutrient rich due to 30+ chickens and the rain here has been absolutely absurd, but I'd say NC is fine for growing many varieties of hops.

I'm in Chapel Hill and grow hops just fine. I have Willamette, Mt Hood, Galena, Sterling, Magnum, Zeus, and Nugget all doing awesome. My Cascade, Centennial, Fuggles, and EKG aren't thriving as well but still doing fine. They seem to love all of the water!

I'm in Raleigh and have had cascades for the last two years. They do very well. They needed a fair amount of water last summer but this summer I've paid them no attention, and they seem to be thriving.

Anyone in North Carolina notice that homegrown hops here are a bit more vegetative / grassy / herbal than other more northern climates due to the fact that our nights don't really get cold enough?

Haven't had a chance to brew with hops grown in NC. At that I think most of the hop production here is for testing and is done in the mountains out in Madison County. I imagine that climate is better suited to hops.

Back