Anyone cleaned kegs at a car wash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all - any danger in this for the exterior of the kegs?

shouldn't be, just dry them afterwards.

are these sankey's or did you just score a load of dirty corny's?

a load of semi dirty cornies, but its cold, so rather than hosing them off at home I thought about just taking the to the car wash up the road

I cleaned all of mine with a pressure washer at work, worked well. Lots easier than the bath tub

Sounds like a great idea. I would just make sure they it's not set to have soap or wax mixed in the water while you're washing.

adx said:
Sounds like a great idea. I would just make sure they it's not set to have soap or wax mixed in the water while you're washing.

yeah, find a car wash that still has the manual dial, and just use the rinse mode. I'd want no detergents or waxes in the keg. PBW or oxyclean free to remove any stuck on deposits.

Thanks for the responses guys - For anyone else wondering the same question here's what I did

I took them to the car wash to get the first round of grime off the outside. I figured the pressurized hot water would save some elbow grease. I did soap them, but just the outside.

This morning I got some real hot water, some barkeepers friend and a green scratchy pad and went to town on the outside using a razor blade where necessary to clean off stickers. Dried that off and hit it with some polishing wad I use on my vehicle wheels. Finished off with a little windex just to take out the haze after buffing off the polish.

Sprayed the rubber with some tire cleaner/protectant and wiped any overspray off the metal. Let that sit for a while.

Disassembled and put about a gallon of hot water/sodium percarbonate mix in. Shook that up and am letting it soak. I will redo the hot water and flip them in a bucket this evening

I think I am going to polish a few of them at some point in time, but for now they look pretty darn good. I will post pictures when I am done.

Sounds good.

Mine are covered in crap, but I just closed the kegerator door - out of site, out of mind ;)

I should give them a clean up one day.

Latest posts

Back