Absolute Frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
First time making a starter, have it spinning on a stir plate a one litre starter but to be honest thats irrelevant, i quite simply wish to know when my starter has "maxed" out? i have bubbles still arising after 48 hours is that the yeast still eating ? or is it the induced oxygen from the stir bar rising, how do i know when its complete .? \please help

frostyp said:
First time making a starter, have it spinning on a stir plate a one litre starter but to be honest thats irrelevant, i quite simply wish to know when my starter has "maxed" out? i have bubbles still arising after 48 hours is that the yeast still eating ? or is it the induced oxygen from the stir bar rising, how do i know when its complete .? \please help

Unless you over did the amount of DME and made a huge starter after 48 hours its done:)

Some small bubbles around the edge don't mean anything

BtW, you can always take a gravity reading to verify:)

It should be done.

First starter I ever did was done in 24 hours.

Last starter was old yeast....and took 3 days to finish 2 litre.....which was 2 different dme additions.

If it foams up when you stir the flask like a soda....then that is the CO2 coming out of solution......you should be good.

When are you brewing? Let it set without stirring over night and you should see a nice band of yeast covering bottom by morning...or within a few hours

Check out Revvy's comments in this post ...this was helpful to me.....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/didnt-see-activity-starter-proceed-step-up-366310/#post4570495

It should be done.

First starter I ever did was done in 24 hours.

Last starter was old yeast....and took 3 days to finish 2 litre.....which was 2 different dme additions.

If it foams up when you stir the flask like a soda....then that is the CO2 coming out of solution......you should be good.

When are you brewing? Let it set without stirring over night and you should see a nice band of yeast covering bottom by morning...or within a few hours

Check out Revvy's comments in this post ...this was helpful to me.....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/didnt-see-activity-starter-proceed-step-up-366310/#post4570495

thankyou all

Latest posts

Back