Small portion of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2001SE

Reaction score
What woulb be the best way to bring small portion of beer with me. I keg my beer, sometimes i will go visit my buddy about 3 hours drive away. Don't really want to bring a whole keg, what would be the best option to bring some with me?

I usually fill growlers when I go to holiday functions and want to bring some of my beer. If you want to use something like bottles you can search this site for making your own bottle filler that hooks to your tap and fill a few bottles and cap them that way. Over that short a time I doubt oxidation would be of any worry.

Growlers. Freeze your growler and cap on the foam. The carbonation will keep better. I use a piece of 3/8" hose. I cut the end at an angle and it seals nice and tight into my taps.

Yea, a growler is great for a half gallon but if you only need a couple pints, I love my 1L Kleen Kanteen- stainless steel and a nice silicone o-ring gasket on the lid. It holds carbonation amazingly well.

I've started using those 16 oz aluminum cans with the screw tops (Miller Lite, Coors Light). I use a small amount of keg lube on the top of the cap to make sure it seals. These are working out great for bottling and carbing, too, not just transporting something I pulled from the keg.

you could also start actually bottling from your keg. that requires some additional equipment like a beer gun or a counter pressure bottle filler.

I use a piece of 3/8" hose. I cut the end at an angle and it seals nice and tight into my taps.

this is a great way to bottle for drinking within a day or two, sanitize the taps as best you can (hold a glass of sanitizer up to them so they dip in), keep a clean short piece of tubing that you only use for bottling, sanitize it, cram it in the tap, release most of the keg pressure, fill sanitized bottles slowly from the bottom, cap on foam. i keep a small fleet of 'belgian' 750 ml swing top bottles that i have had for years which i now use only for this purpose. (for 'real' bottling i use a beergun)

These have become newly available in the last 6 months or so. Just about every LHBS or online retailer carries them now.

a20791612b1be2da9fb9e8_l.jpg

growlerfiller.png

I actually keep mine in a little tupperware container of starsan inside my keezer so it's ready to go when I need it.

I've never used it to bottle my beer, so I don't know if it will work, but I use it all the time to fill growlers.

This is how mine fits in. No leaks at all. Just popped an IPA that I had in the fridge for 3 weeks. No loss of carbonation. No counter pressure. Just froze the bottle, and capped on top of foam.

I got these growler caps and they seem to hold carb best, and seal the best

As for smaller portions I usually do them into flip top bottles. Clear ones from Cost Plus Italian Sodas.

image-3382241984.jpg

image-454793813.jpg

image-3074439862.jpg

Back