H2S questions !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
After reading like crasy on the forums, Wikipidia the web and youtube about H2S well we see that it's a gas that is given off at the early stages of fermentation when fermented at low temps and usualy goes away before consuming...

The only thing is that the gas is very deadly :(

The question that I have is this : my beer is in the keg for the past 7 days and still smells sulfer or rotten eggs like crazy, I vent the keg once or twice a day to get the odor out, the only thing is that my beer is done at this point, fermentation is over like for 2 weeks now...

I used an old pack of american ale 2 without a starter and let the wort sit for 21 days at 64 degrees...

Would you guys trash the beer in the sink ??

Is my case realy a case of H2S ?

Everything I read about other users that had this problem was during fermentation, mine is when the beer is done :(

that's the danger of reading wikipedia and watching youtube. any clown (or genius) can post on there, just like here (who, me???? dang, i forgot where those size 24 shoes are...). it is given off early, and if you open your fermenter at the height of fermentation, stick your head in the bucket, and breathe deep for 2 or 3 minutes, you may get dizzy, but that might just be hyperventilation... that's about how heavy the concentration of hydrogen sulfide is

Wich means that if it stinks like crasy it's because it's not H2S ?

No, you edited your post after I posted.

I'm sure it stinks and it is sulfur. But that's from the stressed yeast and H2S can easily ruin the flavor of a beer or wine (although it's far more common in cider and wine than beer).

It won't hurt you is all I said.

Latest posts

Back