Gravity contribution of Cherry Juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking if I add the 64oz of cherry juice and 16oz of maple syrup, I'll just round up the ABV to 9% I think that is at least in the ball park.

So I added the Cherry Juice and Maple Syrup yesterday. Today I was trying to use Hopville to understand the ABV contribution and got some very different results.

I weighed everything before adding and it came out to 4lb 7oz of Cherry Juice and 1lb 8oz of Maple Syrup. Putting that into hopville and estimating a batch volume of 4.7gal (had 4gal + volume of additions), it looks like it is going to be about a 3% ABV bump. That is much more than I was expecting. Which is correct?

Here is the link to the Hopville calcuation (http://hopville.com/recipe/1660612).

So I added the Cherry Juice and Maple Syrup yesterday. Today I was trying to use Hopville to understand the ABV contribution and got some very different results.

I weighed everything before adding and it came out to 4lb 7oz of Cherry Juice and 1lb 8oz of Maple Syrup. Putting that into hopville and estimating a batch volume of 4.7gal (had 4gal + volume of additions), it looks like it is going to be about a 3% ABV bump. That is much more than I was expecting. Which is correct?

Here is the link to the Hopville calcuation (http://hopville.com/recipe/1660612).

Cherry juice is 24g of sugar per 8 ozs. In 4 lb 7 ozs = 213 grams. They are talking about fl ozs vs weight, so you will have slightly less since the cherry juice will weigh slightly more than water due to the sugar. Say about 200 grams; That's close to 7 ozs of cane sugar, or about 20 points total for the 4 lbs 7 ozs.

1 lb Maple syrup is about 36 points, so 1.5 lbs = 54 points.

The total added points was about 74.

You had 4 gallons of 1.084 OG beer: Total points = 84 x 4 = 336

Add to that the 74 points for your additions (= 410), and divide by the new volume of 4.7 gallons, results in an effective OG of 1.087. Use this for calculating your abv once you measure the FG.

There are some inaccuracies in this, but it is close. You might get an abv bump of about 0.4%, not 3%.

Back