vanilla mead, seeds in or out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooney

Reaction score
About to start a 5l batch of vanilla mead. Gonna put it in primary, aim for 12% dry. for this is one pod enough, should I take the seeds out, my wife has stolen the seeds out a few I could use just the pod, and should I cook it? Was not going to cook the honey just add it to warm water to dissolve?

Most methods used to extract the flavour from vanilla pods, either involve scraping the seeds out to add them to whatever is being made or of course you can soak the pod in high strength spirit to extract the flavour.

So its usual just split the pod and put it into the brew whole....

Well here it goes, i'm allowed one whole vanilla pod and one with the seeds removed so boiling them for a bit then in with some earl grey tea bags and i'm of to the pub so I'll add the honey when I get back.

Well almost a year on and I needed the demijohn so this is in the bottle. It's a good one. Really nice subtle vanilla flavour. Definitely do it again. Only regret it was such a small batch

ForumRunner_20131006_143247.jpg

Good to read it's turned out well :ban::D

As for the batch size ? It's either lack of space or money for the ingredients, or if it's not that, it's cos it takes forever to sanitise 30 bottles that you scrounged from the local wine bar..... and then don't have the room to store it as bottles.....

A lot of the US membership like to do 5 US gallon batches, on the basis that you get about 2 cases of finished brew from that.........

Your gaff, your ingredient money, your effort making it, so up to you how you work it eh ;)

You could always do a batch every month or every second month, so you've always got something to do and some to drink......

You could always do a batch every month or every second month, so you've always got something to do and some to drink......

I do that! Its only one gallon so I can keep it affordable, but my reserve of bottled meads (that are aging) is increasing so they don't get all drunk prematurely.

Just drank my last bottle of this batch and boy was it good. The longer I do this the more rewarding it gets opening an old bottle. Age is every thing.

Back