WTF Summit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uniconfis

Reaction score
So yesterday I get a call from my buddy (who happens to be shunoshi here) about one of my favorite beers, Summit Hefeweizen. He notified me that the reason we're having so much trouble finding this beer lately is that Summit has discontinued it and replaced it with a much less quality beer, Scandia Ale. This was confirmed by the absence of the hefeweizen on Summit's website. WTF Summit :mad: ! IMHO for the money you can't find a better hefe out there. And while I like Scandia, I'd put it at the bottom of there list of beers. I feel like I must boycott Scandia for replacing one of my top 5 beers.

[email protected]

Send them an email and let them know how you feel. Maybe they're just going to cycle through the two, I could imagine someone in marketuing deciding that they don't want to offer both a hefe and a wit at the same time.

I sent out a email right after the post and got my response now. Here it is:

Thank you for your support!

Hefe Weizen info:
We decided to make Scandia our summer seasonal due to a significantly stronger response to it than our Hefe Weizen. We believe that in time the wheat beer market will develop in this area and we may bring the Hefe back again, but for now we are analyzing sales. The Hefe is still available in the Chicago market-it is our biggest seller there in a city that is faster to embrace the style.

As for making it yourself, the most I can tell you about the ingredients:
2-row Harrington, Wheat Malt
Tettnang hops
ABV: 4.2%

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Your opinion about our decisions is import to us.

Cheers,

Carey Matthews
Administrative & Social Coordinator
Summit Brewing Company
910 Montreal Circle
St. Paul, MN 55102
Direct: 651-265-7803
Fax: 651-265-7801
www.summitbrewing.com
www.thesocialelement.com

Sold only in Chicago with no tentative plans to return here. So sad. I'd love to brew it thought. Anyone know of a extract clone recipe?

RIP Summit Hefe Weizen

Just out of spite, I am no longer purchasing Summit Scandia Ale. Like Uniconfis said, Summit's Hefe Weizen would be interesting to brew though. I'm interested in any recipes anyone may have.

Latest posts

Back