Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
Just started brewing (on my 4th batch) and bought cheap pots from Walmart to start. I would like to upgrade to a nice brew kettle. Any suggestions? I would like one with a spigot, thermometer not necessary.

Beer Making Kits and Home Brewing Supplies | MoreBeer has some heavy duty pots, with all the additions you'll need. I use Blichmann Engineering pots and love them.

Keep in mind, in the end it's all about making beer, not what you do it in. I used a 20 gallon aluminum pot with a weldless fitting for years, and made just as good as beer as I do today. It's all about what fits in your budget, time, etc. If your are just starting out, I would suggest getting a nice 20 gallon aluminium pot, putting a weldless fitting on it (all for under $150). This way when you do step up to 10 gallon batches, you are set. I had this 80 qt. Heavy Weight Aluminum Stock Pot, Each and it worked great, thick walled, heavy, great. SWMBO just decided to surprise me this upcoming Christmas!

If I am upgrading to a bigger pot (20 gallon) do I need to buy a propane burner and start brewing outside? I am currently using a stove top. Also, if I continue to do extract brewing is a 20 gallon too big? Most of the recipes I have done are steeping the grains in small amount of water.

If I am upgrading to a bigger pot (20 gallon) do I need to buy a propane burner and start brewing outside? I am currently using a stove top. Also, if I continue to do extract brewing is a 20 gallon too big? Most of the recipes I have done are steeping the grains in small amount of water.

Yes you will need to get a burner. IMO there isn't such a thing as "too large" of a pot. I just had my new HLT delivered yesterday. I can't imagine having a pot that is better than this. Heavy duty, tri-ply bottom, just awesome. Same as the Mega Pots, I happened to be ordering something else for a present and they had it. I have upgraded the size of my kettles 4 times. So I think it is something to consider as your interest grows. Here is mine

100 Qt. Heavy-Duty Stainless Steel Stockpot with Cover

Find yourself a sanke keg, and make a keggle out of it. I've seen them on Craigslist locally for $40-$50 bucks. Then cut the top of and have a valve welded in. You could probably get it all done for under $100 bucks.

Find yourself a sanke keg, and make a keggle out of it. I've seen them on Craigslist locally for $40-$50 bucks. Then cut the top of and have a valve welded in. You could probably get it all done for under $100 bucks.

Or better yet get a weld-less kit. I think Boby M sells them or J bird definitely does. That way all you have to do is drill and screw!

callisbeers said:
What is better stainless steel or aluminum for brewing?

Well there is a can of worms. Either is fine. You'll see more brewers lean toward the SS, but aluminum can be used just as well. There are pros and cons to each, just figure out which one better suits your needs

What is better stainless steel or aluminum for brewing?

You just opened a can of worms here ha ha

It's a matter of opinion. Stainless will hold up better, aluminum is cheaper, aluminum needs to be conditioned, etc etc

I have some stainless kettles for sale. Check them out and feel free to call/email if you have questions.

Ben Caya
www.spikebrewing.com

(*Note to Mods* Please don't remove comment. In the process of setting up vendor account. Waiting on username change. Thanks!)

My keggle cost me 20$ in specialty grains that were given to me an the fittings I had lying around from work. I was just given another keg to convert. It's a lot prettier and shinier so it will be the boil pot and the one in the pic will be a mashtun.

image-3077167673.jpg

image-2419561907.jpg

image-130983315.jpg

image-640779477.jpg

Back